South Korean Ship Sunk - Part Deux

t1larg.ship.afp.gi.jpg

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/26/world/asia/26korea.html

South Korea’s defense minister on Sunday said a torpedo attack was the most likely cause for the sinking of a South Korean warship that killed at least 40 sailors last month, a statement that inched the country closer to placing blame on North Korea and added urgency to the question of how the South might respond.

Torpedo Attack, like I said earlier :P

The main question now is how should South Korea respond to such a blatant attack?

Maybe sink half of North Korea's navy?

They are lucky it was not an American ship, could you imagine the outcry for revenge!

JB

Who remembers the Pueblo?

Juno claiming prior knowledge does actually require that you did say something earlier.......& I dont' see anything in your previous article claiming anything - indeed you say it reminds you of hte Tonkin incident....where nothing actually happened over a 2 day period.....

Read the subject header ;)

Generalisations are always wrong.

You are to be congratulated. You're better read than I thought you were. That exact phrase was something that I wrote in an obscure paper with limited distribution over 20 years ago. And yes, I assumed that my reader would get the irony. I guess good writing gets passed around...

:)

Michael

• 3 weeks later...

From SO's link:

White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said US President Barack Obama had expressed his "deep sympathy" to Mr Lee and the Korean people.

"The United States strongly condemns the act of aggression that led to their deaths," Mr Gibbs said.

The British embassy in Seoul quoted Foreign Secretary William Hague as saying: "[North Korea's] actions will deepen the international community's mistrust. The attack demonstrates a total indifference to human life and a blatant disregard of international obligations."

Which to me at this moment is like saying "Tsk, tsk, tsk," while holding up a corner of the carpet with one hand and holding the broom in the other.

I don't think any of the major powers want to see a war break out on the Korean peninsula, so it remains to be seen what kind of actions are possible. North Korea plays a dangerous game of chicken because it is pretty sure that it can get away with it. What is needed is a way to put some hurt on them that still would not lead to open warfare. Now if some important figure of the NK leadership were to just mysteriously vanish...

Michael

Seems like it's official now - them Northerner's did it

so when do y'all think the rest of the shooting will start - days, weeks, months?

Not at all. They've got nukes and are crazy enough to use them. And there is inconveniently located Seoul.

But I think China is going to loose patience. Kim's visit to China recently possibly was him having to explain himself. China is a big, BIG believer in regional stability and I doubt they think it very funny.

Either North Korea will change policy, or China will.

There will be some serious thoughts put together to come out with what the consequences could be for this action.In any other situation, it could have been war by now, but would it be wrong to say that tensions are so high and tight, that this incident might slide without a war being produced?

I don't think this is the trigger people are looking for, in order to start a full out war and massive ground invasion into the North.

It's weird to think about it like that, but if a war were to break out, a lot of people will die and where would the end be and how would all this chaos be put to rest with armed conflict.The war would last long and more starvation could hit the lands causing even more suffering then what there is now.Maybe an all out war can be prevented and some where down the line Korea can unite diplomatically when the North Regime has faded away of old age and no longer has the grip it once did over it's people.I think stalemating the North's ambitions is the best way to go, instead of an all out ground war.

Clearly this is a serious situation that needs to be acted upon, and there needs to be hard consequences if the world is to send out a strong message, that this will not be tolerated with any Nation.You can't just kill one Nation's military men and women with your Nation's military weapons and get away with it.

I would expect some real hard moves to be made against North Korea, and if North Korea pulls such an act again,then that could do it and the clash will begin again.This could very well produce a war also, but all we can do now is watch and see what the decision makers do and how people shift their alliances and views as well as partnerships.

More conflict in the world could bread even more conflict,which will stretch forces thin around the world from all Nation's, which will naturally bread more conflict to come and strike.Then we get into WW3 talk and Battlefront will have to make a new WW game.