Fort De France Clarification Needed

as a Johnny Come Lately to this game and thread, I was wondering if the community might help me sort out the pros and cons of the Fort De France situation...

Current State:

It's October 1940.

I accepted the challenge and moved a German corps to Fort De France (couldn't unload quite yet due to the port supply value, but did next turn).

The $$$ has been transferred to the Germans (seized the gold, I guess).

A German aircraft carrier and cruiser are now floating around the port.

The U.S. is issuing stern warnings, but I see their activation is still sitting at 22%.

Clarification:

I read the script details in the manual that DE514 is supposed to fire off. But I don't see that one described anywhere (this has probably been answered elsewhere...)

Suggestions:

Is there any advantage to leaving the corps, cruiser, and carrier in/near Fort De France now that I've got the $$$?

Has anyone successfully employed a "South American" gambit to get the Argentinians, others involved? Is that even an advantage worth the trouble? That seems to be the only reason to keep them there, otherwise, I could use them back near the Channel or maybe the Med.

Does removing the corps from Fort De France decrease the chance the U.S. will activate or has the damage been done?

I might need to move Japan in position to strike Pearl Harbor now just in case. Those carriers aren't helping much, anyway -- I've managed for the first time to actually push all Chinese forces out of range of any carrier support.

And yeah, I guess an early U.S. entry makes it harder for Japan to grab the DEI, Indochina, Thailand, etc.

trade-offs... trade offs...

thanks group!

Is there any advantage to leaving the corps, cruiser, and carrier in/near Fort De France now that I've got the $$$?

I have left a corp parked in Fort De France with no real disadvantage. The US will repeatedly - every turn - demand the removal of the German forces from the Fort but the threat, as with the possible incremental increases in US mobilization, will be countered by the US Isolationist calls for the US fleet to return to the US West Coast. In other words, from what I can tell, it all balances out and the US demands for German forces to leave remains an annoying ignore.

Has anyone successfully employed a "South American" gambit to get the Argentinians, others involved? Is that even an advantage worth the trouble? That seems to be the only reason to keep them there, otherwise, I could use them back near the Channel or maybe the Med.

Other than some additional forces acting as a diversion thorn in the side of the US and UK in Latin America, I don't bother with activating the Argentinians.

Does removing the corps from Fort De France decrease the chance the U.S. will activate or has the damage been done?

Yes, it decreases the chance the US is or will be activated...again, because of the continued US Isolationist calls.

By leaving the Corps there, US goe's normally steadily up by 0-2% if i remember well.

Leaving the Navy there remains without confrontation to US, while it could be wiser to use in other Locations.

Normally you may have a problem to leave FdF with the corps, as the Supply Situation may not permit the port automatically to get to the 50%. THe easiest is to dismantle the corps, so US may be happy some 12 months more.

very helpful... thanks

I'm still tempted/intrigued by the whole South American thing, though. What a blast it would be to keep all those goodies nearby and then perhaps try to secure the Panama Canal with a surprise invasion -- but I think FdF is still too close to U.S. mainland such that a cruiser or the Yorktown in Puerto Rico could easily smash the invasion force... forget that idea

they're all coming home to the Fatherland (given I can disable the corps accordingly)

very helpful... thanks

I'm still tempted/intrigued by the whole South American thing, though. What a blast it would be to keep all those goodies nearby and then perhaps try to secure the Panama Canal with a surprise invasion -- but I think FdF is still too close to U.S. mainland such that a cruiser or the Yorktown in Puerto Rico could easily smash the invasion force... forget that idea

they're all coming home to the Fatherland (given I can disable the corps accordingly)

As soon as the US navy activates if you're anywhere near FdF its carriers will make mince meat of you.

Best to get that navy home and avoid the UK navy on the way. Keep the carrier on fighter mode in case you encounter the UK carriers.

Either wait to send a corps to FdF right before its port is close to 5mpp again, that way you can transport out next turn, or even amphib. out and consider South Africa, if you're brave ;). Or send your most damaged corps out of France and then dismantle it once you get the gold. This makes for a 100mpp for 400+ mpp trade of, which is still a win.

I've taken S. America against the AI late in the game and it's nice to climb your way through S. America and knock on America's back door through Mexico. I've usually used my Afrika corps to do this after they've made their way down to S. Africa, then easy amphib. over or if Argentina has been wooed I might transport over at that point.

I'd say the S. America gambit is more of a coup de grace move on the Allies crippling them of a few mpps out of Brazil and other S. American countries as opposed to a viable early game crippling strategy...but yes it is fun.

Managed to get the corps out unhindered all the way back to Bordeaux, where it's foie gras and sauternes all day, every day!

The carrier re-fitted in Bordeaux for a few turns and has blasted a UK bomber wing into oblivion, sunk a few weak destroyers, and is causing general mayhem. Cruiser bit the dust while straying too close to the UK coast, but sunk lots of shipping.

That extra cash bought the Germans two extra tank groups that are right now ready to take Leningrad.

Thanks, Fort De France!

Managed to get the corps out unhindered all the way back to Bordeaux, where it's foie gras and sauternes all day, every day!

The carrier re-fitted in Bordeaux for a few turns and has blasted a UK bomber wing into oblivion, sunk a few weak destroyers, and is causing general mayhem. Cruiser bit the dust while straying too close to the UK coast, but sunk lots of shipping.

That extra cash bought the Germans two extra tank groups that are right now ready to take Leningrad.

Thanks, Fort De France!

Nice moves!