COH vs. TOW/TOW2 vs. CC Series (and others)

CC_Risasi

Wow, I just downloaded the TOW2 demo, and I also bought two copies of TOW. I'm now realizing that was probably a mistake. Not entering buildings is a potential killer for this title. It removes some of the tactical depth. But we'll see.

---

Anyway, I just fiddled around with the Training mission in TOW2 demo. It has a definite Close Combat feel. Definitely TOW > COH. I already have a dislike - I can't zoom out as much as I want. I would love to zoom out as far as World in Conflict allows. Another pet peeve is the controls feel very kludgey...but that could be me coming from Close Combat. Yes, I'm still playing it after all these years.

I already like TOW better than Company of Heroes. CoH still feels too much like a run of the mill RTS. Perhaps it's all the base building that goes on. I'm a big fan of keeping broad strategy to a turn-based orientation, with dynamic tactical battles fought in real-time.

Another like is the intimate feel you get being able to select a swath of soldiers, or drill down and pick one guy, see his stats, etc. Likewise they aren't the mindless robots found in other RTS titles.

This was part of the appeal that CC has had all these years. You become protective of your soldiers.

Now the nitty-gritty. It has really nice eye-candy. But we'll see how it does as I play when comparing it against Close Combat. Form does not trump function. If it is lacking in the tactical depth found in the CC series I will most likely abandon this title. But we'll give it a fair shake first. Once my copies of TOW1 arrive I'll play through the game. And then I'll set up an operation, or whatever they are called in this game, and play head2head against a fellow CC fanatic. I'll post my findings here.

To look around, press and hold mouse wheel (many people don't know about this at first). Infantry in ToW2 is more intelligent than in ToW1, though. The significant difference between ToW2 and all other wargames i can think about (CC, CM, others) is that houses have actual windows (in other games, house is an abstract object that offers some protection to troops inside, who are able to see and shoot through walls).

I've played CC multiplayer for several years myself (CC3 mostly, CC2 and CC4 too). I must say that i don't know any other game with the same feel. On the other hand, you have much more control in ToW, especially over vehicles.

The "buildings" in CC most definitely have "windows" (terrain tiles representing windows, that is).

Best regards,

Thomm

Agreed. Repositioning teams inside a building that they occupy will frequently change LOS for that fire-team. Sometimes it can be quite infuriating. Other times it's a joy to be able to micromanage them for better defensive and offensive capability.

I haven't tested enough in TOW2 to verify it's really good, but the little I did allowed me to pull one guy away from a window and hide him from a tank just outside. (I had him toss a couple grenades at it from inside the building, then pulled him back).

Obviously with TOW when it comes to buildings, it's a moot point. But since there seem to be fortifications and bunkers, etc. And we now have the ability to edit the maps, we shall see how much it hurts gameplay.