Reinstalling: how do I handle elicense?

Folks,

I've just completed a clean reinstall of Vista. (Ask me how I feel about Acronis Total Image 10. Then ask me how I feel about making regular hard drive backups. Then ask me about TESTING your backups.) My hard drive went kaput; my backups did not work.

My new hard drive is anxiously awaiting all my games and programs.

I never UN-licensed the copy of CMSF from my failed hard drive. What course of action should I take for the clean reinstall of CMSF on the same computer? Specifically regarding the various elicenses for CMSF, Marines, and Brits.

Thanks,

Ken

Here is the best way to reinstall:

- install CMSF (do not license yet)

- install Marines (do not license yet)

- install British (do not license yet)

- patch to v1.21

- use your Marines key to activate Marines and the base game

- use your British key to activate British

(you do not need to activate the base game)

If you get an error 11 when trying to activate, then submit a support ticket at www.battlefront.com/helpdesk to have the key reset (don't forget to include the key in your ticket :)) But this would only happen if you activated that key already at least twice and didn't unlicense.

Martin

I followed the instructions, above. It didn't work out that way.

I installed each of the disks, in order. I downloaded and installed the v1.21a patch.

Upon initial start, the license window appeared. Per the instruction, I entered my Marines elicense. The CMSF start window appeared and only showed the base game and the Marines module icons. (As expected.)

I started a quick battle to make sure it all worked. It did.

I exited CMSF. I restarted CMSF. This time all 3 icons displayed, indicating that CM:British Forces was available to play. The scenarios showed them. I started one. It worked.

NOTE: I never entered the CM:British Forces elicense key. What's up with that???

QUESTION: Will repeatedly entering my elicense (twice now, at least) for an install on a single computer, use up my licenses?

Thanks,

Ken

NOTE: I never entered the CM:British Forces elicense key. What's up with that???

This means that you didn't unlicense your British forces module in the first place :)

QUESTION: Will repeatedly entering my elicense (twice now, at least) for an install on a single computer, use up my licenses?

It depends. eLicense is smart enough to recognize your PC in many cases. But not all. If you make major modifications, it may fail to do so. What then happens varies, too... sometimes it will simply ask you to re-enter your key, but will allocate the same "activation" if the similarity between what's on record and your current setup is high. But sometimes it will allocate a completely new activation. In the latter case, if this happens more than twice, your key will spit out an "error 11" because as far as eLicense is concerned, your key is active on two different PCs already.

All of this can be avoided by making sure you unlicense properly. You didn't unlicense British apparently. This was easy to miss before patch v1.21 because the links to unlicense modules were not working correctly. Patch v1.21 solves this, and you now have the correct links to unlicense each module and the base game independently. You just need to make sure you do that. If you unlicense just the base game, then the British module is not unlicensed automatically.

Martin

where i can get the license key?

im from Russia and baught tha game from 1C snowball. i have installed the marines and britts and i didnt enter any keys. now i downloaded the 1.21 incremental patch and i cant load the game because i ned to enter LICENESE KEY. what i need to do to play that 1.21 version??? i already spent my money, so i need to spent more?

Sorry to hear that, videoment. Patches for localized versions are handled by each distribution partner, we can only give them what they need to create the patch, but not make one ourselves. If you have British forces, then you have v1.20 already. I am pretty sure that Snowball will release the NATO module, which will provide the latest version automatically as well.

If you want to purchase the original Battlefront base game, I could offer you a discount for that as well. Probably not exactly what you want to hear, but it's the only thing we can do. If you're interested, submit a support ticket at www.battlefront.com/helpdesk please.