Graphics problem

I have just upgraded my computer with new mother board(Asus P5N32-E SLI Plus), new CPU (Core 2 Duo 6700) and new video card (MSI 6800GTS OC 640). I had to do a clean install of Windows XP. All my games were located on my second hard drive and when I try to launch CMDD or CMAK, I get the black screen and 800 X 600 message. I have tried all the solutions published on the web site. Of course I don't have the hot fix referenced in my add remove programs because of the clean install. My monitor is a Samsung 204 B and I can't remember if I have tried to play CM since I upgraded several months ago.

Which particular Nvidia driver do you have installed ? 94.24 is the latest one applicable to the GeForce 6 series under XP. Do you have Service Pack 2 installed ? Though I can't imagine it would make any sort of difference for CMx1 games, here's the latest DirectX 9 (9.19.1005, dated 6/5/2007; you'll need to "validate" in order to get the download), which might be good to download and install.

Just to clarify, you're getting an almost instantaneous black screen with a message that you need to be running 800x600 or higher in order for CM to work, is that correct ? What current resolution are you running at right now on your desktop ? Though I'm not aware of any specific patches to either CMBB or CMAK that involved the resolution selection process, are both of those games patched to 1.03 ?

I assume that you have already installed the latest Nvidia 650i Chipset drivers for your motherboard (though I don't know if this has any effect on PCIe support). The latest BIOS for your motherboard appears to be 0602, though it doesn't mention any sort of PCIe/VGA fixes.

Go to the Start Menu > Run command > type in dxdiag. This should run the DirectX Diagnostic. Once it finishes loading, click on the Display tab and in here you'll be able to perform a simple Direct3D test. Make sure that "Direct3D Accelartion" is enabled. Click on the Test Direct3D button to go through three tests of DirectX spinning a cube. If these pass, then broadly speaking DirectX is working with your videocard.

To progress from here you may want to try out a benchmark to see how well it will run on your computer. Download 3DMark 2001 SE and run it. This will basically test the DirectX 7.x/8.x compatibility of your videocard, which should be a fairly decent test to see if CMx1 games should work. Generally your 6800GTS should be able to run all of the tests without problems (though CM doesn't use many of the features of some of the tests).

Assuming that 3DMark 2001 passes, the next thing to try is different desktop resolutions and vertical refresh rates. I can't imagine why that would make a difference, but it may be worth trying. Attempt to launch either of the CM titles with each change (though after a couple of attempts this may go nowhere).

I do have the latest direct x drivers and SP2. When I run Test Direct 3D in dxdiag I get the Direct X cube but then a moving rectangle with the following message inside "Not Optimum Mode Recommend 1600 x 1200 60 hz". Display properties under control panel shows 1600 x 1200 60hz 16 bit color on a Samsung Sync Master 204B (digital).

You're getting the "not optimum mode" error message from the MONITOR rather than from Windows. When you run the DirectX 3D tests the resolution is changed to 640x480 or something like that during the 'spinning cube' portion of the test. Your monitor is seeing this new resolution and warning you that it isn't optimum (though of course it is only temporary for the test).

I believe that even CMBO should be able to work at 1600x1200. If that is your current desktop resolution, then when you initially launch CMBO (and it DOESN'T have a Prefs file) it should go through the resolution selection process. However if your monitor will not display anything OVER 1600x1200 @ 60Hz, then you may not seeing anything when CMBO starts offering resolutions to use. CM will typically start at your current desktop resolution (or its closest DirectX available resolution - at or below your current desktop resolution). However the resolution and refresh rate that is initially used is the MAXIMUM that is available to the VIDEOCARD (rather than the monitor). So if you're running 1600x1200 @ 60Hz on your desktop, CMBO will possibly start off with 1600x1200 @ 100Hz or whatever the maximum vertical refresh rate that the 8800GTS is capable of at that resolution.

If you don't press any keys (or click the mouse), CM should progressively try lower vertical refresh rates. Once it reaches 60Hz at a particular resolution it will then drop down to the next lower resolution, but again at the highest vertical refresh rate available to the videocard.

The one problem with the resolution selection process is that there can be varying responses to out-of-frequency signals by the monitors. Most newer monitors should give you an on-screen message stating that the "signal is out of range" or something to that effect. Some monitors (typically older or less expensive ones) may just shut down and stop accepting signals in order to 'protect' circuitry. My assumption is that your monitor should give the 'out of range' message on-screen if CMBO tries a 1600x1200 @ 100Hz, etc. All you should need to do is wait until CM reaches 60Hz at 1600x1200 and then you can select that resolution from the buttons on screen.

When I do launch the game, at first I get the CDV logo and then the BattleFront.com logo, but they are very large. In fact you can't see all the battlefront logo cause it runs off the right of the screen(it appears that the game rsolution is 640 X 480) then I get the black screen with the 800 x 600 message.

If there is a Prefs file, delete it and launch CM again. If it immediately launches into the CDV graphic at 640x480, then CM isn't recognizing a 3D accelerator in your system.

If you're using any 3D utilities (RivaTuner, etc.) you may want to uninstall them first (for now). Next uninstall your current video driver and once that has finished, reboot. Windows will prompt you for the driver on booting back up, but it shouldn't be able to fully recognize the 8800 series (with Microsoft supplied drivers). Make sure no other video drivers have been installed (hopefully they'll appear in the Add/Remove Programs list if they are) and if there is uninstall them. Once all the video drivers and utilities have been installed (and all necessary reboots performed) you should be able to install the current Nvidia driver (158.22 is the latest for the 8 series). After installing this you'll need to reboot. Don't install any other 3D/display utilities as of yet. If there is a driver/INF file for your monitor, install that. The 'Plug and Play' monitor descriptor should usually work, but it is nice to have the specific INF file for your monitor.

Make sure your resolution and color depth are set the way that you want (1600x1200 @ 60Hz ?). Don't change any of the 3D settings as of yet, just leave them at their defaults. Try out the Dxdiag test and make sure that the Direct3D tests all work. If that all passes try out CM and see if you still get the 800x600 resolution warning.

The specific Windows patch that has been mentioned in the past has been superseded by another newer variant of the patch which doesn't seem to exhibit the problems associated with the previous version (to my knowledge). I can't recall off-hand if this newer version of the patch is part of Service Pack 2 or another later update.