Missing GUI in multiplayer

I just started playing multiplayer with another newbie, and we've run into nothing but problems. First, since I use a router, the game won't allow me to host because of the 192.168.x.x problem. Second, when my opponent hosts, we connect fine but his GUI is gone so he can't press GO or anything else to move past setup. We are using Beyond Overlord and both have the same patch: 1.12, I use WIn98 and he XP.

PLEASE help!?!

After playing this game for ages, it now has a re-newed life with multiplayer, but that has come to a halt sooner than expected. THANKS in advance.

-Kevin

Under XP make sure that your opponent turns off the built-in firewall. Both of you need TCP Port 7024 open/forwarded in order to play CM via TCP/IP.

If you're both able to connect, with the same version of CMBO, then you both should have a GO button in the setup screen. Is your opponent not getting to the setup (3D) screen ? Basically the host makes all of the selections for the scenario (side, QB parameters, indicating that it is a TCP/IP game, etc.). When they're a fully ready to host they are left at a 2D screen that lists their IP address (which may not be the absolutely correct address to use) to wait for their opponent to hook up. Once the opponent hooks up, then they go immediately to the 3D screen for setup.

There are a number of websites where you can find your external IP address. Here's one site that will tell you.. This number is the actual number you should give out to host someone else. However there still are ISPs whose setup will prevent you from hosting. Make sure that your router is set to forward Port 7024 to your 192.168.x.x IP address (it should be in your router's built-in web page setup).

The reason the host loses the 2d interface-whos functionality is still there--is because he is starting the game minimized. DirectX has some inialization issues when starting minized. Best trick is to give them warning to go into game before hitting join.

WWB