Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

CMBB crashes

Hi folks, I got a problem:

When I press "Start Game" at the CMBB main menu the program starts to scan for scenarios but then crashes and I end up in desktop. Scenario editor works fine for some reason.

The same occurs when I try to play CMBB demo, it just crashes when I try to play. CMBO works fine.

Both have worked without any problems previously, I had deleted them to make room in my computer.

I reinstalled Win98se a month ago and reinstalled 3dfx voodoo drivers after I noticed these problems like advised in this thread. I haven´t been able to install 3rd party Voodoo drivers because the download in http://www.voodoofiles.com/ for C-3dfx Rampage Voodoo3 Win9x Driver 1.0 doesn´t work.

The only change I have made after it last worked is that I now have internet connection at my computer.

I also have installed Sygate firewall, ICQ lite, Seti@home and AVG virus scanner that are all running in the background. I tried turning all these programs off, but it didn´t help.

My system:

Pentium 3, 450Mhz

Windows 98SE

128 Mt RAM

3dfx Voodoo 3

10/100 Mbps fast ethernet PCI adapter

Sound Blaster AudioPCI 128

Monitor: EIZO Flexscan F552

I have absolutetly no idea what could be the problem, have I installed something to my computer that CMBB doesn´t like or is it just the Voodoo drivers :confused:

Okay... I missed some details in the post, so I need to re-write my response.

I've seen this particular behavior with the Voodoo Banshee (3dfx's combo 2D/3D chip), but not the Voodoo 3's. I've tested a Diamond Monster Fusion (Banshee) that wouldn't allow you to load up the Scenario screen. I can't remember off-hand if an older driver worked or not (it may have required minimizing and maximizing on each 2D screen to refresh it). The latest ones would duplicate this behavior with no work-around solution.

I've also seen this problem with the Trident Blade/Cyberblade series of graphics adapters (most are shared memory videosystems on laptops). Again, no work-around solution was available.

The Voodoo 3 I tried was an AGP Voodoo 3 3000 from STB. I ran the 1.07.00 'original 3dfx' driver (available on Page 4 of the Original 3dfx drivers from voodoofiles.com) and the only problem I ran into was empty 'grass' tiles of a certain that were just white (my guess was that the driver couldn't manage the number/size of the textures and the additional elevation of grass tiles was too much). Under Win2K (and I assume XP) the v. 1.03.00 driver was robust enough to not have these texture problems. I've not been brave enough to try some of the 'hacked' drivers that others have released (few of them have changes that would make any differences to the bugs that may exist).

Admittedly I was also using an earlier version of DirectX with these drivers. 8.1 was the latest version at the time. I wouldn't exactly imagine that DirectX 9.x would be responsible for this particular problem, but it is a minor possibility. Typically this sort of issue seems directly attributable to the video drivers alone.

[ July 20, 2004, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]