Type 2 Error after installing OSX PB

DaveUK

hi there

I recently installed the MacOS X Public beta, on my iMac DV SE 500MHz. However, after doing so, combat mission will not run, even when booting in OS9. On launch, it gives me a type 2 error and quits. I've tried turning virtual memory off and on. Also increasing the games memory to about 100MB. The machine has 256MB. The game does the same thing if I run it under classic as well. The only thing that I can think of is that the game might be looking for certain files at the root level of the drive, and all the OS9 stuff got moved to a folder called MacOS 9. If anybody has some ideas, i'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

David.

Sorry... no helpful hints here, just some comments.

I don't think that Charles has been able to look at MacOS X yet. Since CM requires RAVE to run you would have to run it in the "classic" mode, but as you've seen even that may not work. Games are probably going to be the most problematic to get working with OS X. I'm not sure how the classic mode actually works, but OS X probably still has processes running that make it a different environment than a Mac with just 9.0.4 running on it.

You may want to go through the documentation or whatever Apple is offering for a support site for the Public Beta to see what the situation is for RAVE support. Otherwise some sort of dual-booting situation is what you need (off of separate partitions).

The strange thing is that even when i do dual boot into OS9, it does the same thing. I updated the app to 1.0.5, and instead of crashing with a type 2, it gives me a message saying 'Error initialising 3d graphics, please lower the resolution and try again". But this happens at all resolutions and bit depths. I must stress that this is NOT running under classic, but under OS9 by itself.

Thanks. David.

I am getting the same thing, which is disrupting a pbem frown.gif I figure OS X must replace an extension or extensions to make the 3d stuff "classic compliant" and that new extension is confusting combat mission. I don't have a clean version of 9 redface.gif so I can't really check the 3d stuff, but that's where I'd look to find the prob...

- Bill

I don't have the public beta, but my understanding is that it does throw in some extensions for classic compatibility. I think there are some that relate to RAVE, which might be what CM is choking over. Take a quick look through your extension folder for anything that looks like it might be related to OS X. That's probably the culprit.

Ben