USMC Campaign 1st Mission AAR

1st Mission- USMC Recon of Beach Landing Zone White

Designed by-Imperial Grunt

Its now 01h30, June 21

Mission, Plan, Commanders Intent-1stPlt Recon/B com/2nd Bat/6th Marines(2ndLieutenant Riley)is tasked with infiltrating and conducting an area reconnaissance on BLZ(Beach Landing Zone)while securing OP(observation points) 101,103,104.They are to make sure beach is not mined, avoid patrols and take out any enemy HQ elements and targets of opportunity.

Enemy-4th and further North 3rd CD Bn(Coastal Defence Battalion),low grade foot mobile infantry units, limit number of obsolete APCs and static tanks batteries. Artillery and mortars, limited quantities of older generation ATGM’s. Given the small number of enemy deployed, They are considered as a nuisance value only.

Friendly 26th MEU(SOC)(Lieutenant Colonel Oliver)-

1stPlt Recon/B com/2nd Bat/6th Marines(2ndLieutenant Riley)=2xReconSquad (6men),1x HQ squad (2men)

USS Mason(DDG-87)Naval Gunfire Support,

F/A-18D Hornet Air support

Terrain-Relatively flat, rising in elevation from shoreline, several small houses throughout the area and town AL HAMIDIYAH to the South.

Weather-Overcast, Hazy but Clear, no impact on ground operations.

Temperature-Warm.

Wind-blowing light from West.

Ground Conditions very Dry.

Civilian Density-Very Heavy

Landing time 02h00, June 21

Mission begins, time limit 1 hour,

02h00-02h10,

1stRecon Plt/B com/2nd Bat/6th Marines(2ndLieutenant Riley) have landed undetected on the Syrian beach near AL HAMIDIYAH and operations for the Syrian invasion are now underway for the 26th MEU(SOC)(Lieutenant Colonel Oliver).Under the cover of darkness, 3rdSq/Ateam/1stRecPlt(Sgt Fewel)is ordered to move to BLZ White2North to search for mines and then proceed to move East to get eyes on OP101 and the surrounding area using bush‘s for concealment.Simultaneously 3rdSq/Bteam/1stRecPlt(Corp Jablonski) is ordered to move to BLZ White2Center to also check for mines and then move East into a bush area to attempt to get eyes on OP103 and its surroundings.1stRecPlt HQ(2nd Lieutenant Riley) moves to search BLZ White2South of mines with 1stSq/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway).From there its declared clear of mines and they proceed to occupy the two story buildings opposite of each other on the dirt road leading East to the Mosque and scan for targets near and around the Mosque location. USS Mason has now signaled its ready for any support requests. 1stSq/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway)spots a Syrian Rifle team patrol at a crossroads South East of their location on the adjacent road a little over 60 meters away and a suspected contact was seen around the Mosque location. Just a few seconds later, another Syrian rifle team patrol was spotted moving onto the same crossroads while the previous contact moved North off it,they are still about 60 meters from 1stSq/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway)who is now West of both moving Syrian Rifle teams.The Syrians moved in a bounding over watch formation covering each other as they patrolled and was obvious that they suspected something was to happen this night, but the Marines remained unseen. At this time 3rdSq/1stRecPlt(Sgt Fewel) teams have searched and reported that the BLZ White2North and White2Center areas are mine free and they continued to move to get eyes on the objectives.

CMShockForce2010-02-1214-59-33-43.jpg

The path that was taken by the Marines.

02h10-02h20,

The two Syrian rifle contacts are now moving across the dirt road that leads to the Mosque and the Marines report that the Syrian teams are made up of 8 men.1stRecPlt HQ(2ndLieutenant Riley)then moved and rallied in the same building as 1stSq/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway) and ambushed the second Syrian Rifle team as they attempted to cross the dirt road leading to the Mosque. As the silence was pierced by the Marines gunfire, the brief conflict caught the Syrians by surprise and it was all over in less then 30 seconds. The Marines quickly gunned them down without an enemy shot being fired or without being seen. Another enemy Syrian rifle team was identified on the move by 1stSq/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway)in the far North East area of operation 375 meters out and it was considered not to be a threat at the moment to any Marine team. The first contact that were spotted have moved back towards North East and have not seen the Marines, but probably heard the shots. At this time 1stSq/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway) and 1stRecPlt HQ(2ndLieutenant Riley)are attempting to move South using bounding over watch where they will bypass the Mosque area from the South in an attempt to avoid it as they shift and move East in order to get at the OP's from the South.

02h20-02h30,

A C2 Syrian team was spotted holding in place by 1stSq/Bteam/1stRecPlt(Corp Mowstakis) as they moved near the cross roads in front of them.1stSq/Ateam/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway)and 1stRecPlt HQ(2ndLieutenant Riley) moved in order to ambush them, but the Syrian C2 team moved away to the North and the Marines were unable to get at them in time and broke off the pursuit of an ambush.At another location 3rdSq/Ateam/1stRecPlt(Sgt Fewel) spots another Syrian C2 unit South East around 400 meters out in the open in the tall grass. The marksman takes aim with his M40A3 an delivers a one shot one kill through the right side of the head of the Syrian troop who was caught kneeling(suspect it was the Commander of the unit).The rest of the Syrian C2 team get down in the tall grass and a sniper was also seen amongst them as they began to crawl North. 3rdSq/Bteam/1stRecPlt(Corp Jablonski)finally arrives in his position and discovers a stationary T-55 318 meters out North East of them. The Syrian C2 team is crawling in that direction and 3rdSq/Bteam/1stRecPlt(Corp Jablonski)has been given authority to request Heavy Armour Medium length 2Gun fire support from the USS Mason on the static T-55.Estimated time of fire mission at the time to commence was 12 minutes. Enemy that amount to about a Syrian Platoon is being reported to have been seen patrolling in the area where the T-55 is located and the Syrian C2 in the grass is suspected to be their command unit. It's now confirmed there are 6 men in the Syrian C2 unit and that's minus the one who was shot dead and remained laying in the field. After a while, it is now suspected that there might be two Syrian Platoons in the North East area of operation around OP101 area.

02h30-02h40,

F/A-18D Hornet has signaled it is now ready for any Air Support request.3rdSq/Bteam/1stRecPlt(Corp Jablonski)has eyes on the most enemy so they have been giving authorization to request and direct F/A-18D Hornet air support to strike any targets of opportunity in the North East around OP101 within a 400meter radius outside the town of HAMIDIYAH. Estimated time of Air strike support at the time is 9 minutes until arrival. At this time 1stSq/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway) and 1stRecPlt HQ(2ndLieutenant Riley) are South of the Mosque and still moving to try to get to the OP's 103 and 104.As they were moving East and as the Marines were crossing an open area, An AK burst of fire was heard shattering the piece of the night for the second time and 1stSq/Bteam/1stRecPlt(Corp Mowstakis)suffered the first casualty of the campaign. Corporal Mowstakis himself was shot and laid wounded in the open just outside of a house and the marksman in the same squad was grazed by a bullet and has now become a walking wounded.1stSq/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway) immediately attempted to shoot and pin the enemy that was discovered 33meters away in a window in another building and 1stRecPlt HQ(2ndLieutenant Riley) established buddy aid on Corporal Mowstakis in the open. The Artillery requested on the T-55 is now firing for effect at the other end of the AO(area of operation) and has ended destroying the tank completely. After a while and the arty strike, Corporal Mowstakis was stabilized and hidden where he was later stealthily evacuated out of the AO. It seemed like the Syrians who fired at 1stSq/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway) have been pushed back or shot dead and it was later suspected that the contact was only one Syrian civilian who grabbed his AK when he heard and saw the Marines,and not that of Syrian forces,he lay dead from where he shot. They will now proceed and continue to get at the OP's.

CMShockForce2010-02-1215-02-02-78.jpg

2ndLieutenant Riley gives buddy aid to Corporal Mowstakis

02h40-03h00,

The F/A-18D Hornet can be heard searching for targets overhead as it arrives at the area of operation and 3rdSq/Bteam/1stRecPlt(Corp Jablonski)has been ordered to call in an Artillery Heavy Medium timed Linear personnel 54meter strike in the North East AO on a trench position where another Syrian C2 unit was spotted. The F/A-18D Hornet found a target and carried out an air strike in the compound North of HAMIDIYAH. A building was targeted near the destroyed T-55 and a huge impressive explosion completely leveled and destroyed the building and no doubt killed whatever Syrian forces were around it. 3rdSq/Bteam/1stRecPlt(Corp Jablonski)were later able to spot another Syrian C2 team moving to the OP101 and managed to take aim and get two shots off with his M40A3 killing two Syrian troops, one shot each through the back and out the front. Another Air strike was again carried out, but this time it was on a empty static civilian truck that was 180meters East and dangerously close to 3rdSq/Ateam/1stRecPlt(Sgt Fewel) location. A huge explosion occurred and debris feel on top of 3rdsq/Ateam/1stRecPlt(Sgt Fewel),everyone was rattled, but otherwise fine as well as lucky.1stSq/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway)is now 100meters South from OP104 and discovers a MG bunker guarding it. They engage it while 1stRecPlt HQ(2nd Lieutenant Riley)breaks off and tries to move East of it in an attempt to get to OP103 using the tall grass as cover. At this time its hard to say if the Marines will meet the objectives on time.1stSq/Bteam/1stRecPlt(now lead by Marksman Corp Poplowsky who is a walking wounded) was going to attempt to move and get behind the MG bunker as 1stSq/Ateam/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway)pins the bunker down, but a well aimed m203 shot managed to get the Syrian rifle team to abandon the MG bunker in a hurry. As 1stRecPlt HQ(2ndLieutenant Riley) was moving through the tall grass they were able to take the opportunity to flank the Syrians that abandoned the MG bunker from the East. As the Syrian troops were getting shot down by 1stSq/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway) and 1stRecPlt HQ(2ndLieutenant Riley), one Syrian troop crawled back in the bunker for cover and remained the only one alive and he became very hard to hit, but eventually he dropped his rifle and fled(! over his head) as fast he could due to the heavy amount of fire that left all the Syrian team members dead or dying. The F/A-18D Hornet announced it had no more visual targets and is now maintaining a holding pattern outside the AO and at this moment artillery is now firing for effect on the trench area where the Syrian C2 team is suspected to be.

CMShockForce2010-01-2921-29-14-36.jpg

Air strike on building near T-55

1stSq/Bteam/1stRecPlt(Corp Poplowsky)has taken up positions on the 3rd floor in a 3story building and provided over watch as 1stSq/Ateam/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway)approached OP104.As the Marines moved to OP104 and got near a low wall at the entrance, shots suddenly came out of the bottom floor in the walled in compound that's OP104. 1stSq/Ateam/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway) while under fire at close range from the OP104 21meters away, managed to keep their heads and also keep their heads cool and shoot the enemies down that were popping up. In this very intense close quarter firefight where bullets were missing the Marines by inches, another Syrian squad opened fire and emerged on the second floor of the OP104. 1stSq/Ateam/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway) had no choice, but to stay and fight it out because they found themselves on deadly ground and out gunned with no way out.In this situation they found it better to possibly receive a bullet in the front instead of the back, but they fought vigorously to make sure they didn't receive a bullet at all. 1stSq/Bteam/1stRecPlt(Corp Poplowsky)had bad LOS on the enemies who were firing and had to now get to 1stSq/Ateam/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway) as fast as can be to give them more fire power for the fight. Luckily 1stRecPlt HQ(2ndLieutenant Riley) just finished clearing a building and was on the third floor of the building North East of OP104. From there they were able to fire heavily into the second floor of the OP104 building at the enemy relieving the Marines who were under fire. 1stSq/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway) has now merged back into one team while still under fire and while still firing back, continue to suppress the bottom floor. When the enemy ceased to fire, 1stSq/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway) ran up beside the bottom floor and threw grenades in it, in preparation to assault OP104.As they were entering OP104 they saw Syrian soldiers trying to get out the back door and the Marines shot them as they moved. Also as a result from the suppressive area fire from 1stRecPlt HQ(2ndLieutenant Riley)on the second floor, some of the Syrians that were located on the second floor ended up running down to the first floor trying to make it out of the building or to get away from the suppressive bullets being fired at them from 1stRecPlt HQ(2ndLieutenant Riley). They must have been shocked and surprised just as much as 1stSq/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway) when both sides soon found themselves face to face and nose to nose on the first floor. The Marines were able to act much quicker and a very bloody and personal close quarter firefight put down the Syrian troops. There was more enemy in OP104 then previously suspected and with extreme caution 1stSq/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway) continued to clear out OP104 and 1stRecPlt HQ(2ndLieutenant Riley) stopped their area fire and covered their fellow Marines. Two more Syrian troops were discovered on the second floor and as one tried to escape down the stairway to the bottom floor, he was gunned down by a burst of fire. The other Syrian soldier started to run up the stairs and 1stSq/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway)pursued him all the way to the roof where he was shot, presumably with the last bullet and m203 round that 1stSq/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway) had.OP104 has now been cleared and it was later discovered that there were over 10 Syrian troops in OP104.1stSq/1stRecPlt(Sgt Hollaway) and 1stRecPlt HQ(2ndLieutenant Riley)were now out of ammo and unable to push to secure OP103. Due to heavy enemy presence, OP101 was not able to be occupied either.

Time ran out and the Marines gained a Major victory. All objectives were met except for OP101 and OP103.Enemy Bat, Coy HQ and 1st and 2nd PLT HQs were neutralized, but 3rd and 4th enemy PLT HQs remain intact.35 Syrian troops were later confirmed KIA while 24 Syrian troops were confirmed WIA and 1 tank destroyed.

CMShockForce2010-01-2923-05-32-94.jpg

1stPltRecon/B com/2nd Bat/6th Marines(2ndLieutenant Riley) received 1 WIA casualty being Corporal Mowstakis and 1 walking wounded Marksman Corp Poplowsky who was grazed by an AK bullet. All the rest of the Marines were counted for. It was later reported that Corporal Mowstakis survived his wounds due to the quick stealthy med evac later conducted and also due to the bravery of his fellow Marines (2ndLieutenant Riley especially for applying buddy aid personally) and is now fine and on his way to a hospital. No man left behind is the saying that describes the Marine camaraderie and will be boldly executed as they continue to encounter danger during this campaign.

I loved this mission- Its fun not to know where the enemy will be, and to take your time advancing carefully. I ended up pushing up along the left side (seemed easier at the time) and then hooking one of my squads across the far edge of the map to secure the objectives. I was worried about fighting in that city, and it looks like with good reason! Poor corporal Mowstakis

Make sure you deploy those guys inside the buildings for the next one, and not on the roofs or outside! :eek:

I was worried about going through the town of AL HAMIDIYAH as well, but seemed like it was the only way to go at the time for me, because there seemed to be a lot of enemy movement near OP101 and the compound near it, plus I had my support asset's concentrated on that area. I wanted to keep my casualties as low as possible so I didn't press on to engage on the left flank for fear of getting one of my own exposed and shot or hit by friendly fire(and they almost did get hit by friendly fire lol).That made me decide to try and get at OP101 last if time permitted so I could hit it from all angles, but time did not permit.

In the town it was very quiet and there were no real threats on the path the Marines were on, except obviously for the one guy who shot Corporal Mowstakis.I think I used up close to half of the squads ammo suppressing that area as they gave buddy aid and the buddy aid took a while.Looking back it was a bit of an over reaction knowing now what the threat was, but at the time I thought a Syrian squad just ambushed me and I was going to witness a much more horrible sight of my men getting mowed down.

And if that made me a little edgy you could imaging how I felt watching the action at OP104.That was another situation I thought was going to end badly, what a lucky and intense situation that was.I can still picture the burst of enemy fire passing between the Marines heads as they fired back.:eek:It was a real movie moment and goes to show that the pop up target training in urban areas is worth while.:)

It's Battlefronts Marine Campaign that came with the Marine Module called 'Semper Fi Syria'.

The Marines make and amphibious assault on Syria from the West, from the Mediterranean Sea.Then the Marines push East, North of Lebanon and through the HIMS gap towards the city HIMS.I found that the creators did a really excellent job at explaining the story and situation and it has me personally very immersed into the overall strategy as well as every battle that comes up.

I haven't played the campaign before and thought that maybe I would do an AAR on it, but there's a total of 19 missions and I think 19 might be a bit much for me to type out, so I'll post an AAR for the first 5 missions in the Marine Campaign 'Semper Fi Syria'.