Questions on air support

When calling in air support, one of the selections that has to be made is to choose Heavy, Medium, or Light. But also in the scenario editor when "purchasing" units, there are Heavy, Medium, and Light as well as "air support elements" and "antiarmor elements".

It would seem logical that the antiarmor selection would use precision guided weapons and the "air support elements" would perhaps us GP bombs. But I've done a little testing (and I mean only a couple of selections) as time permits but thus far seem to get mixed results with the accuracy of bomb placement, therefore this premis is in question. I haven't notice any difference at all in the actual size of the ordinance whether selecting heavy, medium, or light in the mission so presumably that is set by what was placed in the editor.

Thus far I have only figured out a couple of things. For example, selecting the Light Air Support Cobra or Harrier in the editor, then selecting "heavy" when you call them when running the mission results in strafing runs. I suspect they conduct more runs if you select heavy in the mission but haven't yet confirmed this.

Anyhow.... has anyone created a guide for air and/or artillery support that explains all this???

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yeah, this is a known problem with the UI, it's just not telling you any useful details.

For aircraft ordinance, bombs are always of the guided variety. Amount of bombs is a factor in the Heavy/Medium/Light selection, but bombs sizes too IIRC. It's hard to distinguish between 2.000lb and 1.000lb bombs though. All bombs have a huge blast and leave ditto crater, so you are pretty much down to directly comparing crater sizes.

Thanks for the replies. It's not very user friendly is it? After re-reading the manual is sounds like there is some intentional variability in payload for any given aircraft at any given selection (i.e. heavy, medium, light). It would be nice if there was at least some type of indication what's showing up when you call them in through. I'll poke around with some more testing and see if I can glean anything from it.

Ah, but simulating CAS is beyond the scope of this game. On the other hand, simulating the fickleness of Zeus hurling thunderbolts upon your opponents is very much simulated: it's called "Air Support". Much like invoking a god's wrath, your wishes and desires are "interpreted". How the god responds, if at all, is up to his whim. Be grateful you're not turned into an insignificant insect for the hubris of even thinking a god will do your bidding.

(Okay, search under my user name for "GUI", "User Interface", and "Air Support". BF.C has left a LOT of room for improvement...

Ken

Hours away from Ft. Bragg. (Although, I have visited - Pope - many a time. Lots of nights in Fayet-nam.) I'm out west, a small town between Winston and Charlotte.

Thanks for recognizing the tongue in cheek comment I posted. (Sometimes there's a wee bit too much sensitivity.)

Ken