If there will be a strategy guide

I recently purchased TOW2 with the Strategy of War guide.

I really don't want to come down on the strategy guide because in reality it was very professionally done. This was just a case of I bought the guide expecting one thing and getting another.

This guide is about strategy; but primarily in a historical sense.

I was actually hoping for a guide which would delve into tactics and strategy of the actual game itself.

I don't contend to be a master of any of Battlefront's games which reward tactical and strategic thinking; and rip apart those who hit the battlefield running and gunning or those who just don't see the map.

When I bought Strategy of War I was hoping to sit down and read how I could be prepared to play TOW2 with a plan in mind.

-How would you want to split up your troops to take advantage of capabilities and minimize weaknesses? TOW2 does not directly split up into squads; I have no reason to believe TOW Kursk will be any different.

-How would you conduct battle to meet the offensive or defensive requirements for

a) the given terrain

B) the given unit types

c) the given commands to achieve the requirements

-Scouting of the enemy disposition for each mission and match this with what you have to meet the objective.

-How to best set up troops for Order of Battle and how to optimally use reinforcements.

Strategy of War does lay out some scenarios for armor engagement. It shows initial deployment and result of taking a specific action. This is a very good use of multimedia. It would be nice if this could be done on a much broader scale; including infantry and all other units. (for situations such as I have mentioned with a), B), and c).)

I would really like to see the game Theatre of War do well in sales. There is a core following for this game, but it would be nice to keep new people who try the game out because this type of game offers something that very few others do in realism. It would be nice to keep the people who say this game is too hard I can't figure it out and just quit without cheapening the game. I think a well focussed strategy guide would go a long ways in accomplishing this.

Hello Paul,

thanks for your feedback. I've forwarded it to Scott, who did the TOW2 Africa guide.

There is no guide planned at this point for Kursk. Yet. I do agree about most of what you wrote, including that the type of guide you describe would be no doubt useful. Theatre of War has a fairly complex game system, stemming from the fact that it's so extremely detailed in so many things it's simulating, and I can see how that can be daunting to new players (or even seasoned wargamers).

Luckily, 1C has been listening to its fans and this community here has helped a great deal to bring the series on the right track with each title. I think you'll find that Kursk takes another big step in the right direction. In fact, we just got the first batch of previews in and the journalists seem to be saying pretty much the same thing.

Perhaps Scott will chime in here with his thoughts about the Strategy Guide.

Martin

Hello Paul,

thanks for your feedback. I've forwarded it to Scott, who did the TOW2 Africa guide.

There is no guide planned at this point for Kursk. Yet. I do agree about most of what you wrote, including that the type of guide you describe would be no doubt useful. Theatre of War has a fairly complex game system, stemming from the fact that it's so extremely detailed in so many things it's simulating, and I can see how that can be daunting to new players (or even seasoned wargamers).

Luckily, 1C has been listening to its fans and this community here has helped a great deal to bring the series on the right track with each title. I think you'll find that Kursk takes another big step in the right direction. In fact, we just got the first batch of previews in and the journalists seem to be saying pretty much the same thing.

Perhaps Scott will chime in here with his thoughts about the Strategy Guide.

Martin

Thank you for forwarding my post to someone who has experience in putting together strategy guides. Interactive or non-interactive having a guide to breakdown tactical considerations would go a long ways towards how to do well in the game. There are some things that happen that are hard to pick up in the middle of a heated battle.

I really must say I'm enjoying TOW2 Africa! Due to quietness in the WWII gaming community in regards to this game I really thought there had to be some serious flaws. Of course I've been playing on the easiest level but the gameplay has been much better than I would have expected. I think a lot of people are missing out.

I have pre-ordered Theatre of War Kursk which I am anxious to play. Just looking at the screens shows me that a lot of attention was placed on the Russian countryside. I just watched a show this evening on the Military channel which analyzed the battle of Kursk. The Russians held a clear numerical superiority and they really did a good job of setting up a defensive position. There were some statements made about Russian tank weaknesses which will be interesting to see if this upcoming game impliments them well.