Keeping Syrian Infantry Alive

You can attempt to do some ambushes by giving your Syrians a short cover arc, and when a juicy target appears cancel the arc give 5-20 seconds (the longer the more likely they are to die) and then have them fast to a safe location. I use this during WE-go games.

Keyholing (deploy your men so they can only see and be seen from a very specific strip of ground usually used with armor) is also very important, as it can allow you to get local superiority in one location without being exposed to supporting fires.

Also for the Syrians its very important that you keep them in C2 with their HQ squad. Otherwise their already poor morale takes another hit.

What you're describing is a Morale + Experience problem and not a Syrian problem per se. If you give US units similar poor morale and experience levels, they will behave in exactly the same way. Of course, such a setting would be unrealistic in most instances, whereas, for the Syrians, it is a more realistic setting given the nature of their troops.

Try bumping their Morale up to Fanatical and you'll find they'll hold their positions... fanatically.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi There,

I started playing as Red and had the same experience. The replies given above pretty much cover the issues. What I did to improve my results was keep my Syrians massed together, always acting in a big block, whether armour or infantry. As for infantry, I placed them in good ambush locations and with short target arcs. I hardly ever order them to move or do anything complex. Also, they're at a severe disadvantage in night scenarios, so again, I keep it as simple as possible.

For MOUT, I have found that a big part of the problem is that the default buildings have windows on all four sides in the style of Western buildings, and most map designers never bother to change that. This is handy in that it creates an all round field of fire for the inhabitants, but sucks for the outgunned side (Red) for the same reason... nowhere to run to baby after the first shots.

Simply putting blind walls on 1-2 sides of buildings (and enclosing the buildings in walled courtyards) really increases the tactical challenge for Blue, as they either (1) have to assault close in (and Red fire gets more lethal), (2) bring in heavy weapons to pierce the windowless walls with area fire, or (3) do some maneuvering to find a building or rooftope with a good facing for a distance shot (which has its own risks). In the meantime, Red has more cover and time to rally and move about to set up the next ambush.

And guess what? That is more or less the real world tactical problem.

For MOUT, I have found that a big part of the problem is that the default buildings have windows on all four sides in the style of Western buildings, and most map designers never bother to change that. This is handy in that it creates an all round field of fire for the inhabitants, but sucks for the outgunned side (Red) for the same reason... nowhere to run to baby after the first shots.

Simply putting blind walls on 1-2 sides of buildings (and enclosing the buildings in walled courtyards) really increases the tactical challenge for Blue, as they either (1) have to assault close in (and Red fire gets more lethal), (2) bring in heavy weapons to pierce the windowless walls with area fire, or (3) do some maneuvering to find a building or rooftope with a good facing for a distance shot (which has its own risks). In the meantime, Red has more cover and time to rally and move about to set up the next ambush.

And guess what? That is more or less the real world tactical problem.

+1............