praise for Hammertime

Hi There,

Have played through the Hammertime scenario twice now as red - got tac victories both times. It's a great scenario with a beautiful map. What I learned by playing as red is: 'don't play the units, play the map'. In other words, with fewer goodies than the NATO troops and worse quality assets, you've got to fully utilize whatever tactical advantage lies in the terrain. This map offers lots of possibilities and I really got into it. Even found myself thinking of it as a real episode, and how it might be reported in the Western media. I'll probably replay the scenario as blue and see what happens. Just wanted to give the thumbs up.

As for my tactics as red, I didn't do anything fancy: just went for a static defence, lumping units close together at key points and with fairly short, overlapping arcs of fire, so as not to give away positions too early. I beat off one US attack with AT and MG assets. I beat off another with a desperate and costly armoured counter-attack. The US troops took a few objectives but failed to penetrate the Big Smoke as they had to walk through a heavy 'kill zone'.

I was happy with the result both times - I guess, in reality, it's about as good a result as possible. In a real-life situation, I would have had my propaganda and media guys working overtime on Western public opinion . . .

In a broader sense, playing as red has made me realise why asymmetrical warfare plays out the way is does, with fighting taking place in civilian and culturally-sensitive areas - basically, as red, you've got to use every dirty trick to level the playing field against overwhelming US tech superiority.

Hi Javolenus

He! Nice one - glad ya enjoyed it :) Still one of my favourites as well.

Just off to Switzerland now for two weeks so will be unable to follow up any subsequent posts but I'll reply if need be when I get back.

Thanks again for the feedback!

Cheers fur noo

George

Hi Souldierz,

Glad you liked this scenario too. Funny you called it 'farm hopping' because when I looked at the map from the blue perspective, that's exactly how I saw my options unfolding. I was thinking of extending the time limit and adding some extra red reinforcements. Anyway, I'll let you know how it goes.