Morale

Hi There,

I got a question about morale. I just started playing a few scenarios as RED and noticed that Syrian troops won't hold ground like Brits or obey order like US if they're taking casualties. This is OK and fair enough, but I was just wondering how morale is modelled for the various units?

For example, can morale actually go up in a scenario? I mean, if my Syrian guys score some hits against the enemy, will they stop cowering or running away? Or is their morale fixed for the whole scenario no matter what? Or can troops get morale boosts if certain conditions are met?

Another question, but this time about campaigns rather than scenarios: do morale factors get carried over as the campaign progresses? For example, if you score a major victory in the opening campaign scenario, will you get a morale boost for the next scenario?

Apolgies if this stuff is covered elsewhere, but thought I'd ask while I had it in mind. Thanks in advance for replies.

I think it's all pretty much down hill from when you start the mission. I don't think I've ever seen moral go above what it was at the start of the mission, I think its pretty much based around the squads status (leadership, casulties, suppression, comms) and if you side in general is taking casualties. I don't think individual events like an taking out an enemy tank or losing one really have an impact. Losing a tank will factor into your overall casualties "modifier" as far as I can tell, I don't think the units who saw it get hit will lose more moral or anything. As far as killing an enemy tank, I haven't seen any effect.

I do think the condition of troops carries over in campaigns, I don't think wining or losing battles effects it.

This is just my observations, anyone know the details?

Ryujin summed it up nicely when he said it's all downhill from the start of the mission. The scenario designer sets the unit's morale when he creates the mission. Units give Normal (or whatever) status will have that status throughout the mission. Depending on how high/low that setting is, the units will cower/butt out accordingly. Leadership, C2, and training appear to influence this as well, especially leadership. How much, I can't say.

As for campaigns, I had this effect in place for 'Dinas'. Win a mission and the Red force in a following mission morale would go down. Lose it and it'd go up. The campaign designer has to 'make' it that way though. It won't happen automatically if you get a win/loss.