Best Fire Option for Surprised Infantry

I'm brand new to CMBO and love it. I am playing my first PBEM game and have come across an interesting situation:

I have a German flamethrower team on a flat area on a very small hill next to a road. My opponent just rolled out an armored car from a village and turned off the road and up the hill. I know he cannot see my flamethrower team which is lying down and away from the hilltop. He thinks he is swinging around behind the rest of the Pioneer Infantry platoon which is in plain view and on the opposite side of the hill. Here is my question:

The flamethrower team is HIDING and is facing 90 degrees away from the front of the armored unit. Time is of essence as he is about 40 meters away. Is it necessary to "rotate" the flamethrower team to face him and fire upon him? Or can I just do nothing and let the unit fire from a hidden position like an ambush when the Armored unit crests the hill top? PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU VETERANS WOULD DO to best deal with the armored unit in this situation (in terms of issuing or not issuing orders to the flamethrower team). I really would love to see them get off the first shot of liquid flame! THANKS. :D

The unit will fire of its own accord when the vehicle comes into range. There is no need to give additional orders (particularly if the target is currently out of range). However, it will need to turn to face the target before ti fires (it will do this on its own if it decides to fire). You can shorten the delay to fire by rotating the FT to the facing that you expect the AFV to enter the range of the FT on.

That is, give the rotate order to where you thing the target will be when firing starts and hope for the best.

Thanks for the reply Slappy! ;)

Would just targeting "area fire" on the spot I think the unit will appear at work as well? Wouldn't that result in my unit immediately rotating to position itself for firing at that location? Or is rotating first and letting the unit fire on it's own the better way to go? Thanks for your patience.

Originally posted by JJL:

Thanks for the reply Slappy! ;)

Would just targeting "area fire" on the spot I think the unit will appear at work as well? Wouldn't that result in my unit immediately rotating to position itself for firing at that location? Or is rotating first and letting the unit fire on it's own the better way to go? Thanks for your patience.

Don't use area fire in this situation. If you do, your FT will fire at that spot, even if nothing is there, thus revealing its position and likely wasting a shot.

Also, be careful about what you reveal on this forum about an email game. Your opponent could be reading it! smile.gif