Crash on menu display after updating drivers...

Hi all,

Just installed the new 9.12 drivers for my ATI HD 4870 card and now CMSF crashes right after displaying the main menu. The error dialog mentioned a problem in the ati drivers... i.e....

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: CM Shock Force.exe

Application Version: 0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp: 4af14c9e

Fault Module Name: atioglxx.dll

Fault Module Version: 6.14.10.9232

Fault Module Timestamp: 4b0c9a24

Exception Code: c0000005

Wondering if anyone else has seen this, if anyone is aware of a fix or if we have to revert back to a previous driver version.

I haven't heard of this specific problem with the 9.12 Catalyst drivers. You may want to revert back to 9.11 or 9.10 and see if this issue still occurs. I also suggest UNINSTALLING the 9.12 drivers BEFORE installing another version, just to be sure nothing screws up the driver install.

Have you changed any of the Options menu settings within CMSF ? Are you using 'Antialias/Multisample' ? Have you made any particular changes in the Catalyst Control Center for 3D settings ?

I haven't heard of this specific problem with the 9.12 Catalyst drivers. You may want to revert back to 9.11 or 9.10 and see if this issue still occurs. I also suggest UNINSTALLING the 9.12 drivers BEFORE installing another version, just to be sure nothing screws up the driver install.

Have you changed any of the Options menu settings within CMSF ? Are you using 'Antialias/Multisample' ? Have you made any particular changes in the Catalyst Control Center for 3D settings ?

Ok after posting I decided to start troubleshooting. Just so you know, all drivers, system or otherwise, are fully updated.

In my testing I found a problem. After everything was checked, I renamed the Preferences.pfc file to something else. Once I did that, the game loaded just fine. I went into the options, made some changes but when I clicked OK it crashed. I checked the directory and was surprised to see the game does not re-create a pref file. So I renamed the original BACK to the right name and loaded the game.... boom upon the menu display, CTD.

I then went to another system I have used solely for beta testing contract work I do and backtracked the display drivers. The game loaded fine. Installed the latest ATI drivers and crash city. Renamed the preferences file again, and it loaded. Renamed prefs back and it crashed. uninstalled, cleaned out and reinstalled ATI previous drivers again that I started with on the beta test machine. However now the game does not load with those drivers either unless I rename the prefs file.

Obviously the next recourse I have is to clean install BUT I prefer to not have to do that just for a new preferences.pfc file... Any ideas?

*BELAY THAT! Just tried again on main system to load with renamed prefs file and this time it did recreate it..

So further testing I did.. The problem is from the 'Vertical Sync' option. If I turn it on, CTD once I exit back to main menu from options. If I leave it alone it works. All other options seem to be functioning correctly.

My system spec btw:

Intel i7 920 (three other machines, two for code and beta testing work of code and hardware - They include one AMD setup, one Intel Core duo and another Intel i7 940 system.)

For this situation, I am using the Intel i7 system which contains the ATI HD4870, Creative xFi Titanium Fatality Pro and 9 gig ram and the AMD system contains the ATI HD 3870, Santa Cruz/Turtle Beach and 4 gig ram.

Both machines show same issue once drivers updated as explained.

Malakie

You can pretty much delete the 'Preferences.pfc' file. It holds the settings made in the Options menu and possibly a few others. I believe it only gets written out with a proper exit from the game. If you crash, then the file doesn't get written out to my knowledge.

Do your programs have 'admistrator' access to the Program Files directory to write files ? We often have people launch the game with a right-click and selecting "Run as administrator". Otherwise files will probably be written to the 'Virtualstore' directory within the User's folder. CMSF should work with Virtualstore directories to my knowledge.

What OSes are you running ?

What settings are you using in Options ? The 'Vertical Sync' seems to have a particular problem with the 9.12 Catalysts. I guess it is an option most don't select. Have you changed anything else from default in here ?

Not that it may make much of a difference, but do you have any of the modules ? Is your distribution of CMSF the Battlefront version or Paradox/Gamersgate ? What patch are you using for CMSF ?

You can pretty much delete the 'Preferences.pfc' file. It holds the settings made in the Options menu and possibly a few others. I believe it only gets written out with a proper exit from the game. If you crash, then the file doesn't get written out to my knowledge.

Do your programs have 'admistrator' access to the Program Files directory to write files ? We often have people launch the game with a right-click and selecting "Run as administrator". Otherwise files will probably be written to the 'Virtualstore' directory within the User's folder. CMSF should work with Virtualstore directories to my knowledge.

What OSes are you running ?

What settings are you using in Options ? The 'Vertical Sync' seems to have a particular problem with the 9.12 Catalysts. I guess it is an option most don't select. Have you changed anything else from default in here ?

Not that it may make much of a difference, but do you have any of the modules ? Is your distribution of CMSF the Battlefront version or Paradox/Gamersgate ? What patch are you using for CMSF ?

Running Vista 32 bit on two machines, Vista 64 bit on the other two. Yes I have the Marines module currently and my version is DVD for both the main game and marines update. Patch is the current, v1.21 Marines version.

It definitely has something to do with vert. sync. For now I just leave it off in prefs and have turned it on in the Catalyst Control Center.. Seems to work ok that way although I still get some tearing once in a while since the in game engine is not processing it.

One thing I have noticed about the new drivers... much more stable overall especially with OGL (Open GL) apps and games.

Heh, I just came back here after a hiatus of many months, and I tried launching 1.11+marines and it crashed (CTD) right at the menu as well.

So I upgraded to 1.21 and still the same problem. Turns out I also use the latest catalyst 9.12. I also found out independently that getting rid of the prefs files solved the problem for me.

I'm using XP, 1.21+Marines from Battlefront, 9.12 catalyst.

It's clear the problem is in the interaction between 9.12 and CMSF.