Need clarificatoin on CMBO/CMBB running on WinXP O/S

I have 2 simple questions. I'm getting geared up to buy new PC and have to figure out what Windows O/S to put on it.

1) Both CMBO and CMBB list Win XP as acceptable O/S to play game on. Ok, great! What I cannot find anywhere, however, is *** WHICH *** version of XP are you referring to? In other words will it work both on XP Home Edition and also XP Professional Edition, or just the Home one? I'm assuming it's both, but absolutely need to know that for sure.

2) Have all the kinks with XP and nVidia drivers (looking to get nVidia video card) been worked out? Sounds like in large part they have from what BTS is saying. Reason I ask is alternative to going w/ XP (home or Professional) is to get Win2000 instead.

Thanks,

Mikester

Both XP Home & XP Pro work fine with CMBO & CMBB. The biggest difference between these two OS's is their networking/networking management features. Driver-wise XP and 2000 are quite similar. In fact you'll see drivers often bundled together for both OS's, much like Win95/98/ME were.

NVidia seems to have worked out most of the bugs that affected CMBO with the 26.xx and 27.xx series of drivers under Win2K/XP.

Thanks Schrullenhaft! That's exactly what I needed to know.

---

I'm leaning toward XP professional just because I'm going to start toying around with MS Visual Studio .net and C# programming and want to use the networking features in Pro version to hook up couple computers here in the house and possible setup one of them as a web server to start up a webpage.

---

Thanks again.

Regards,

Mikester

Windows 2000 comes in only two flavors: Professional (desktop) and Server. CM will work with either one.

The only issues that have really existed for CM on the newer OS's have been the NVidia drivers. I'm not particularly aware of any other problems relating specifically to the OS (it's usually a driver issue).

[ March 04, 2002, 12:44 AM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]