Mac biege G3 graphics puzzle

SteveP

I've been playing CM for about a year. I have a biege G3, upgraded recently with a G3 500Mhz CPU and a Radeon PCI graphics board (from a Rage II 8MB board). The puzzle is that I've never, under any configuration, been able to get 32-bit color. As soon as CM launches, it swtiches to 16-bit color. It's doesn't matter what resolution I set it for, or what mods (or non-mods) I am using or anything else related to the game (I've trashed the Prefs files, reset PRAM, yadda yadda). I'm assuming that something about my base system configuration causes CM to force this, but I can't figure out what it might be (unless it's the fact that the biege G3 is limited to 33Mhz PCI bus speed). Anybody (especially anyone with a biege GS) have any ideas or possible explanation? Any way to force CM to leave the game in 32-bit color?

Originally posted by SteveP:

I've been playing CM for about a year. I have a biege G3, upgraded recently with a G3 500Mhz CPU and a Radeon PCI graphics board (from a Rage II 8MB board). The puzzle is that I've never, under any configuration, been able to get 32-bit color. As soon as CM launches, it swtiches to 16-bit color. It's doesn't matter what resolution I set it for, or what mods (or non-mods) I am using or anything else related to the game (I've trashed the Prefs files, reset PRAM, yadda yadda). I'm assuming that something about my base system configuration causes CM to force this, but I can't figure out what it might be (unless it's the fact that the biege G3 is limited to 33Mhz PCI bus speed). Anybody (especially anyone with a biege GS) have any ideas or possible explanation? Any way to force CM to leave the game in 32-bit color?

Dont' worry

to the best of my knowledge you are not missing anything, NONE of us are getting 32 bit colour.

Perhaps I should not say this but I would guess that would not be about to actually tell the difference in the game between 16 24 or 32 bit graphics.

I understand that ALL graphics and ALL mods in the game are only 16 bit because that was decided to be the lowest common demoninator.

do your 16 bit graphics look good?

does your game look like shot others have posted?

Do your mods look like pictures of mods other have posted on mod web sites?

Please rest easy the WHOLE graphic world of CMBO is 16 bit to the best of my knowledge.

(Someone REAL knowledgeable about graphics and mods in CMBO feel free to correct me if I'm off base on this one)

-tom w

Yes, I recall now seeing other threads where it's been pointed out that the graphic files are generally based on 16-bit color. And you are correct that I don't see any handicap to viewing the game in 16-bit (especially with the new Radeon board). That's why the question is more a puzzle than a problem -- why does the game force it back to 16-bit. I'm under the impression that doesn't happen for everyone. I'm a wrong about that?