Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Which RPK when squad has AK-74?

c3k

Gents,

A quick question: when my Syrians are equipped with AK-74's, what caliber is the RPK used by that squad?

The choice is either 7.62 or the AK-74's 5.45. (I thought the 5.45mm version of the RPK would be labelled RPK-74, but the tooltip in CMSF may not be accurate.)

Thanks,

Ken

Hi c3k,

I believe that the RPK you get it depends on the unit: Regular Army, Militia, Uncon, etc. For example, a Syrian Mech Infantry Battalion will be equipped with AK-74s and RPK-74s, doesn't matter which equipment setting (Poor, Fair, Normal, Good, Excellent) you have when you purchase that unit. In other units, I think that setting will have some effect on some of the assault rifles (AKMs or AK-74s) they might use, but as far as I know, the GPMG (RPD, RPK or RPK-74) is always set to a kind of unit. As a rule of thumb, the more "professional" the unit, the newest model of GPMG they'll have (RPD, RPK and RPK-74 in this order).

The tooltip is alright, and:

RPD and RPK use the 7.62x39mm cartridge, as the AKM assault rifle.

RPK-74 uses the 5.45x39mm cartridge, as the AK-74 assaut rifle.

Hope it helps,

Lomir

Lomir,

Thanks. Right now the units I've selected (Veteran Uncon) is equipped with AK-74's and RPK's. The tooltip states exactly that: "AK-74" or "RPK". I would think the unit would have similar ammo. Evidently, that's not true. (Obviously, the Uncon's would have a hodgepodge.)

Edited to add: Now I see that the 5.45mm RPK is, indeed, labelled "RPK-74" with the tooltip.

Regards,

Ken

The confusion is caused because there are squads with mixed caliber armament, i.e. AKMs, RPKs and AK-74s (AKS-74s). So while you can see a squad with 5.45mm AK-74s and 7.62mm RPKs, I don't believe you'll ever see a squad with 7.62mm AKMs and 5.45mm RPK-74s. Also, the icons don't really match either weapon's 3D model.

Secondbrooks, just to clarify, if a unit has AK-74 it does NOT mean they have RPK-74. (That was the source of my confusion.) The tooltip differentiates between "RPK" and "RPK-74".

The unit armament progression seems to be an increase in "quality" for the rifles, then an increase in "quality" for the support weapon. In this case, 5.45mm is considered better than 7.62. (Perhaps "newer" should be substitited for "quality"?)

So, if they have AK-47's (7.62), then they can only have the 7.62 version of the RPK. If they have AK-74's (5.45), they may have either RPK (7.62), OR RPK-74 (5.45). The tooltip will reveal which one.

Ken

Secondbrooks, just to clarify, if a unit has AK-74 it does NOT mean they have RPK-74. (That was the source of my confusion.) The tooltip differentiates between "RPK" and "RPK-74".

The unit armament progression seems to be an increase in "quality" for the rifles, then an increase in "quality" for the support weapon. In this case, 5.45mm is considered better than 7.62. (Perhaps "newer" should be substitited for "quality"?)

So, if they have AK-47's (7.62), then they can only have the 7.62 version of the RPK. If they have AK-74's (5.45), they may have either RPK (7.62), OR RPK-74 (5.45). The tooltip will reveal which one.

Ken

I dont' find such unit in editor which would have only AK-74 as it rifle and then they would still have RPK. Can you point me such formation and equipment setting?

Ah found it atlast? Funnily it didn't show up earlier. :confused:

And best of all, they don't have ammo for RPK, if they have 2 pieces 7.62mm weapons (SVD or RPK) they have small amount IF their supply is full. Medium and large fighter formations with normal equipment. Bug or feature? Would seem odd that each AK-74 has more ammo than what RPK can muster.

EDITxx: This is becoming a monster.

:)

I had to use Uncons. Actually, all I wanted was a pure AK-47 unit. (And, being greedy, a pure AK-74 unit.) The best I could find was the 5 man uncons with 2 RPK's. All the rest seemed to have RPG's, SVD's, and other types of weapons.

Regards,

Ken

:)

I had to use Uncons. Actually, all I wanted was a pure AK-47 unit. (And, being greedy, a pure AK-74 unit.) The best I could find was the 5 man uncons with 2 RPK's. All the rest seemed to have RPG's, SVD's, and other types of weapons.

Regards,

Ken

You know you made me feel like a moron right there. I like that :)

Well only way to get them as light as possible armament is to set equipment level to poor. That typically cuts two guys from team (making them 3 men teams, which was surprise to me!) and usually it's RPK which gets wiped out.

But seems that each formation created is bit different, some have SVD or RPK in each team while another formation has just one such team. Combatants are more weaker with this, they seem to regularly come with just AK, while fighters seems to keep bit more firepower.

So there's way, but one has to make compromises with team size.