Intermitent Low Res and FPS

Currently when playing SF 1.20 w/ Marines, everything will be running fine. After a variable time frame from a minute or two to 10-15 minutes, the FPS will drop to single digits, all on screen textures and details go to mud, and the game in general barely moves along. However after another period of time of usually 10-15 minutes everything returns to normal.

System:

Dell Latitude D600

1.7 Ghz

768 MB

Radeon 9000 mobility 32MB

30GB HD w/ 20+ gigs free

Game settings are fastest/fastest and all the other graphics options turned off in an attempt to avoid the problem. Still no dice.

Drivers are latest updates.

-Jenrick

In the Options panel in the main menu, select the "High Priority Process" and set it to "On (faster)". I'm guessing that your laptop may be going into some sort of power-save state where it clocks down the CPU and that MIGHT result in what you're seeing.

You may also want to tinker around with whatever Power Saving settings you have (Dell utility or control panel) and see what there is to avoid the CPU from cycling down. Also, I assume that you're running on AC Power too while running CMSF.

Not that I would know what the difference might be (if any), but do you know which particular driver you're running ? The one I find on Dell's support site for the Latitude D600 is 8.20-051110a1-028793C, which by the date I'd guess may be Catalyst 5.11.

I believe Catalyst 6.11 may have been the last driver to support the desktop Radeons below the Radeon 9500. However you have the "Mobility Radeon" which is mildly different and will NOT be recognized by a Reference set of drivers from ATI/AMD.

There is a way around this and that is to use the Mobility Modder. Follow all of the instructions near the bottom. Again, you may need to download the 6.11 Catalyst drivers rather than the latest.

Before going down this path, make sure you have a copy of the display driver from Dell ready to be installed (in case this doesn't work). I'm not sure about using the latest driver or possibly the 9.3 Mobility Catalyst (which you may not be able to get to if the "verification app" doesn't say your compatible with it). If you do decide to use a newer driver, I suggest stopping with the 9.3.1 Catalyst since that is the latest version that has proved compatible with CMSF. ATI will release a future driver that should fix some of the current problems seen in the 9.4 - 9.9 Catalysts, which MIGHT be 9.10 or later.