Win XP: where's the Full Screen Anti-Alias?

Hi from a CMBB newbie.

I've got a new IBM R40 laptop running Windows XP with a ATI Radeon video card. I have the problem described below in MadMatt's FAQs.

Solution #2 just doesn't work for me. After minimizing the screen, I only get blackness when I maximize.

For Solution #1, I have found the video card display panel menus but I can't find the 'Full Screen Anti-Aliasing' thingamijig he refers to to fix the problem. Can anyone give me directions?

Thanks in anticipation.

Problem: Game seems to lock up or display a black screen immediately after game is loaded, you may hear the intro music or sound still. Video card is a Radeon card.

Cause/Solution #1: The problem is with the video drivers. They have a problem properly initializing the screen graphics when Anti-Aliasing is enabled. Turn off Full Screen Anti-aliasing for your video card. This can be done via the video cards display properties panel.

Cause/Solution #2: Minimize CMBB by pressing Alt-Tab and then re-maximize it by clicking on its icon on the Taskbar. The display should properly refresh and everything should be visible again.

Cheers

HarryInk

I haven't looked at the ATI control panels lately, but you may want to look for a setting mentioning 'Smoothvision'. This is ATI's trademarked name for FSAA. I'm not sure if you can directly disable this setting or not. Generally such settings are set at 'application control' which means that it is off for a vast majority of programs. Most of the time settings associated with Smoothvision are the 'sampling sizes', etc.

Which version of the Catalysts are you running ? I'm not sure if it is an option to downgrade to an older version with your laptop, but that could help things (though it may be a bit complicated to accomplish - especially if there isn't an appropriate driver available from IBM).

I am going to add that HotFix workaround to the troubleshooting guide although the amount of occurances I have heard of this issue dropped off to almost none since Feb.

In fact, I think this post was the first I have heard of this problem since then. I also have XP Pro installed and also had that Hotfix applied but did not encounter that screen problem so it seems to have been a conflict between the hotfix and something else.

Odd...

Madmatt

Matt,

I think this may only be an issue with Win XP Pro, I have XP Home and have installed this particular hotfix with no problems. This is, however, with a Geforce 3 Ti500 card, so it could be the Radeon graphics card that has problems with the hotfix.

[ July 30, 2003, 05:55 AM: Message edited by: Firefly ]

Hi There!

I may have the same problem, but am not really so sure. Once I click on "Done" at the "Command Briefing" screen, I only get a "Loading 3-D Images" message and nothing else happens.

I checked my settings and found out that I have the following installed:

- Windows XP Hotfix - KB823980

- Windows XP Hotfix (SP2) [see Q329581 for more information]

Doesn't seem like I have Q328310 installed -- or do I?

My system:

IBM T30 Notebook (PIV 1.8Ghz, 512 Mb RAM))

ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 (16Mb RAM)

Windows XP Pro

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!