Beer and pretzels games (pretzels are optional)

Sergei

Has anyone tried Operation Barbarossa - The Struggle for Russia yet? Basically it's a copy of SSI's Panzer General.

I really loved the original PG and AG (and FG) but PG2 left me cold. Of course the funniest thing apart from caring for your veterans was rewriting history in the campaign, like attacking Russia via Middle East after DAK defeated Monty in Egypt and Iraq, or invading Britain or *gulp* even Washington D.C! And in late war campaigns if you had succeeded in defeating western or eastern allies, you only had to defend Germany from one direction. Unfortunately the Allied General didn't have quite so many interesting hypotheticals. There was one I remember that let you invade Norway instead of France, but that sucked. It was also buggy - eg. in the Winter War scenario snow disappears after some turns.

Afterwards and until now there haven't been any proper followers, although there is the free L-General for Linux and Windows if you want to re-experience the PG magic. Anyway, since it's a Matrix game there is no demo (a bad policy IMHO), so if you have bought it tell about it. Is it as good as the original? Is the editor any good, like can you create your own campaigns with it?

I played a few games of Memoir44. it is a fun and light battle game - a good introduction game for those interested in board wargaming (imho, ymmv).

I still want to try out Conflict of Heroes (eastern front tactical game). From what I have read at BGG this game is easy to learn and fun. I believe someone there also stated they are coming out with a Western Europe version of COH.