Video Question

Ok, I have a crap video card, 8 meg AGP (My GeForce is on order) and I keep having problems if there are too many things on the map, e.g. trees, vehicles, men, smoke... etc. My display starts freaking out and getting flashing black spots and stuff and stuff. Generally I can fix this by escaping out and re-opening the window. I also turn off the trees and such.

Now on to the question. Last night I changed my video settings from 24mil colors to 16mil colors figuring the lower setting would make CM easier to run for my card. Things actually got worse, I couldn't even load any games without my video card freaking out. I switched it back to 24mil colors and it went back to at least usable again.

Can someone explain this to me?

Thanks,

Vitalis

To make a huge assumption since I don't know what video card you're running on what OS...

The video drivers are just plain crappy. Some drivers support certain color depths better than others. This shouldn't be an issue with well written drivers, but some cards don't have good drivers available. Writing device drivers, especially video drivers intended for gaming, is very complex and prone to all sorts of problems. Other than Standard VGA (because it's universal and fairly straightforward), I don't think you'll find a 'perfect' driver there are just too many things that can go wrong.