Requests for CMSF

SGT_P

Active protection systems would be cool but I don't think they are in service yet with U.S. forces. Doesn't the IDF use them already?

US.Army fielded 3 types of Soft Kill Active Protection Systems for their vehicles. The AN/VLQ-6, AN/VLQ-7 and AN/VLQ-8, AN/VLQ-6 and AN/VLQ-8 are mostly seen on USMC M1A1HC/FEP tanks in the place where CITV is mounted on M1A2/A2SEP. AN/VLQ-7 was used in very small quantities in 1991 during Operation Desert Storm, mounted on some M2, M2A1, or M3, M3A1 vehicles.

Currently US.Army is testing several Hard Kill Active Protection Systems like Quick Kill (very promising system), AMAP-ADS, LEDS-150 and few other systems.

US also developed in late 80's and 90's some hard kill APS's but they were never fielded.

As for Israel, yes they are currently fielding Merkava Mk.4 with ASPRO-A/Trophy APS, some tanks are from older production batches retrofitted with this APS, some are integrated with it at the production stage in factory.

february1720114.jpg

february172011.jpg

And here Namer HAPC with probably some sort of active protection system, maybe ASPRO-A.

12082009729.jpg

There are unconfirmed informations that Drozd was exported somewhere to middle east, but currently these exported system can be in very bad condition, not operational without spares etc. Besides this, system is completely outdated and can be only effective against RPG's and ATGM's besides Javelin and Spike.

Doubtly, dunno if Russians have many spares, but it their considered Drozd-1 and Drozd-2 outdated then maybe their sell spares for their systems, or complete system, who knows.

But in my personall opinion, better idea is to buy modern dynamic protection that old, outdated and problematic active protection system.

Too big? After the Armour And Stuff Defeating It thread I don't think so.

There are people with greater knowledge.

I saw the site, but I thought that maybe the manufacturer may trump the products up a bit...

Dunno, maybe some russian speaking users can tell more about products of KBP Tula.

Currently however more interesting are designs of dynamic protection in Russia and Ukraine and how their designs have inflance on dynamic protection developed around the world.