attempting to open port

i attempted to open the port 7023 to my computer but when i ping my computer i get this error.

XX.XX.XXX.XXX:7023 is Closed

Reason Given: Connection refused

More about this error: This essentially means that the port is open to the internet but has no services associated with it. There is no firewall protection on this port.

i dont know to much about this i just followed the instructions by searching the forums, can anyone tell me if this is correct or not?

What firewall are you using ? It's strange that you would get a 'closed' response.

I'm not that knowledgeable about TCP/IP, but I not sure what you'll get back from attempting to ping a particular port, since the PING command may be assigned an unique port already on that system (I'm not sure if there is a standard port however). Port 7023 is used since there's no standard application assigned to it. I have no idea if you attempt to ping 7023 while CM is loaded if you'll get an messages back (I doubt that CM is coded up to respond to a ping, but I'm not sure).

You can try some port scanning utilities, but beware that this could possibly annoy anyone targetted or violate the usage agreement with your ISP.