Original disc scenarios

Memory lane for most. Trying to spark interest for any new players.

[Commentary all EFOW, against AI, default placements, no bonuses]

Saprista: Wonderful from either side--only first time as Italians. As the Italians it provides an excellent scenario which rewards good tactics when played blind--I had no idea what I was fighting, and an enemy AFV storm was not excluded as a possibility. This is not a puzzle scenario. As the Russians, I shifted left flank unit to cover the front-line bridge, otherwise keeping the default. I was fascinated that my central units were overwhelmed. Using Calvalry units is only one step above using rocks and sticks.

The Bridgeheads: I would have guessed that the defending side would be dominating. But, like Saprista, early WW2 fighting is interesting because one is not quite at the "I see you, you are dead" of later fighting. (much less: I know your GPS location, you are dead from 1/2 way accoss the world, of current warfare)

Penny Packets: As the Russians against the AI, a walkover. But as the Germans, spectacular. I fought the last 3 battles with 75 men or less, for a tactical victory, with about 10 Russian AFVs near the last flag. A key question: In the first battle, do you attack (as I did--flanks, taking out 4 pillboxes, but losing 100 men, and getting crushed in the middle, and having to pull out a lot of un-resupplied infantry for battle 2), or defend and butcher. Would be interested in reports of those using the latter tactic.

I second "The Bridgeheads", a small but cleverly designed scenario with a map that rewards tactical thinking. I played as both the Germans and Russians and found it a challenge, both total victories but a challenge. The German's only got the victory because I reinforced the correct flank, the Russian's because the map rewarded realistc tactics (move fast to cover in short dashes).

Winter Wonderland: Fantastic, I spent hours on this and when I finally worked it out and achieved a victory it was quite a sense of achievement. It was this scenario that made me create a series of night time scenarios, so I could understand the mechanics of nightime combat, especially the response of friendly troops to nearby friendly fire!

Poselok 5: An atmospheric setting and a tense scenario, I rarely identify with my pixel-truppen, but I watched anxiously as the little column of stragglers inched their way, wearily, to what they hoped was safety. I even gave a little cheer when the relief column met them! In my first attempt I was too aggressive with the Pz III and mucked up the path finding of the stragglers, result chaos. Second attempt was far more successful and the realistic use of main force security and covering forces was rewarded with tactical success.

I would also like to mention; “A Deadly Affair”, a scenario that shows the 251 as a game winner, not just PTRD fodder and “Totenkopf”, winning as the Russians took two attempts and watching those 222’s burn was most satisfactory!

As for Penny Packets I just gave up, my elite pioneers with stealth +2 HQ’s were butchered by ever alert Russian sentries, bleugh! And such a promising map!

Yes, Iron Roadblock was very good. I think it is amazing what little gems are tucked into CMBBCMAK.--particularly those with just a few units, where suddenly you learn how to use, to good advantage....a sniper...or mines....or an armored car--since they are no longer just part of a large mass of units.

Some of it is the nature of the Eastern Front, I think--almost every month the equipment and tactics changed, and then there is the huge variety of terrain and weather.

Actually, I kept records.

Iron Roadblock/Allied: first time, tactical defeat. Second, minor victory. (But I consider anything less than a victory the first go a defeat)

Totenkopfke/Allied: Major defeat, tactical victory, total victory.

A scenario I really liked, was Gefechtsaufklaerung. Nice, straight-forward tactics.

On the other hand, Directive #3 almost drove me crazy. I played it 6 times before getting a minor victory...and decided to move on. I like playing with tin-can AFVs, so I kept at it...but it was tough.

And Katukor strikes back/Allied: the best I could do was a draw. I credit the excellent default set up.

Penny Packet: sounds like, then, as Axis, I picked the best strategy. On battle one, crossed the barbwire at the edges, unopposed, moved toward the center, knocking out 4 bunkers (useless tactically, but helped with points) and crippling 2-3 infantry companies. Then I played defense at the last trench line for 5 battles. Almost every cartridge, grenade bundle, and explosive pack was used each turn. The "relative" loss of Russian infantry meant they had fewer borg "spotters" for their tanks. The two KV-1s were taken out during the night battle--fifth battle--when they rushed the flag without infantry.

Held one flag at the end, and had about 60 men, but a tactical victory. (Doesn't hurt that the AI does not always garrison all its flags every turn)

I am playing CMBB/CMAK scenerios in historic order, so I am over on CMAK 11/41. But I will be back (peculiar that 10/41 has, it seems, the most scenarios/operations of any month on the original disc, most of them allied attacks?)