PBEM files not loading

Got files from two seperate opponents, not zipped, saved to PBEM folder. Exit Outlook, load CMBB, go to multiplayer, try to load file and it kicks me back multiplayer options menu. It also dings that "you-can't-do-that" sound.

First opponent whose game this happened with had to re-send file 3 times before I could load file. Other opponent has only sent it twice, so who knows if 3 is the magic number.

Running Windows XP, v1.02 CMBB, not a virus as Norton is up to date, system: P4 2.4, 128 DDR RAM, plenty of room on HD, ATi 8500 (sans fog, of course).

Could this just be an issue with my DSL service pucking up mail delivery. BTW, email account is with DSL service and they can have probs from time to time. Or is this a "uninstall/ reinstall might fix" kinda thing?

Wow, could be a lot of things. :confused:

Cant really tell you much more. Could be your DSL service, especially if it worked after the third send.

Could also be a problem with how the file is sent. Is it still a text file when you get it? (PBEM.txt)

Guessing that Outlook (Or Outlook Express?) can sometimes modify your files depending on your security. Firewalls do this too. May even be your DSL Service doing this.

You could check and see if the file is "Read Only" (Right click file, left click properties).

Although I cant say for sure if it wouldnt work if it was.

Maybe best to wait a day and then resend the files or wait for someone else to post another idea.

Good Luck!

Hey Mike, this has happened to me as well. It happened 3 times in the past 2 weeks. In each case I had my opponents resend the file and then it worked. The only difference is that in my case the PBEM starts to load and then when the sound loads (background noises like wind) it loops and the computer freezes with the hard drive light on constantly. I have to reboot. I think the reason that mine freezes and yours doesn't is due to you using XP and me using 98. This never happened to me before two weeks ago either.

I have had the same thing happen to me on several occasions. I am running Windows XP and CMBB version 1.02. My opponents are running the same version. My ISP is through cable modem. I am playing 4 games and have never seen the problem with all 4 game files that may have arrived during the same connection setting.

Very strange and frustrating. :( I never experienced this problem with previous versions of CMBB.

The people I play with have also experienced this issue.

THanks

2.4 Ghz P4

Nvidia GeForce Mx440

1 Gig RAM

MS WINDOWS XP version 2002 SP 1

Any help would be great. If you would like addtional information on my system I will be glad to provide it. smile.gif

Playing around with this. How do you save files? Originally I would open file with notepad and then "Save as" to PBEM folder. Not being too quick it took me about 2 weeks to notice the save feature DIRECTLY below the open file option. :eek: I then switched to this option as it saved me a few clicks. No problems for months.

Fast forward to last week, 10 days or so, when the unloadable file issue came up. I had been recieving PBEM files exclusively and my comp always prompted to save in PBEM folder. Well about this time, or a little before, I saved a text file from the forum in "My Documents". Ever since then my comp thinks that PBEM files go to "My Documents" not CMBB/PBEM folder. Much clicking got file into the correct folder. This is when I started getting the unreadable/ unopenable files.

Have gone back to opening files in notepad and using "Save as" to CMBB/PBEM and no problems since Saturday. Maybe that solved the problem, or perhaps Al Gore fixed the Internet? Who knows but files are flowing, I am perplexed, and things are back to normal. :D