Multiplayer problem - CMSF

Hi Guys,

I am having a real problem playing online - after a while CMSF goes into a network pause. Sometimes this lasts a few seconds other times it's indefinate - any clues or ideas. This is driving me mad

Specs

Q6600 Quad Core

Vista 64 bit

8 gig Ram

Geforce 9800

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying to get a friend of mine into CMSF by playing the various demos multiplayer, and we've never completed an entire mission because of network issues. I'm sad to say I'm having the exact same problems with the 1.20 demo, it goes into network pause and never recovers.

I've even captured all the network traffic of our last game on my firewall to try trace any network issues. Right before the hang, the server sends the client data, and gets ACK packets back from the client for that range of the TCP stream, but the server never sends any more data after that during the network pause.

I don't know how to do any more troubleshooting on my own - it seems like its not the network itself, but something to do with how CMSF does TCP multiplayer. I'd be happy to send the devs my packet dump if that will help at all?

How many people actually have working TCP multiplayer?

Hi bflyblue,

I have played TCP loads, either via the internet or via a LAN, and I can't say I have had any issues. In fact, considering the amount of data being pushed it plays smooth and seamlessly :)

This won't help you with your current problem though :)

I have experienced a network pause - and this usually un-paused itself and the game kept going. However, when playing via the wireless - this pause would usually mean a crash and game over.

Are you getting this problem all the time? Are you playing over a wireless?

David

Hi Dave,

It's wired. Up until now I just assumed it might have been my internet connection. Thing is TCP retransmits should take care of any missing packets, so unless the connection hangs for a while, I'm not sure why CMSF would display the network paused message.

Looking at the TCP trace, there are regular packets flowing at the time (server->client) and the client is ACK'ing the packets, so it's not a problem with the transport layer.

Other than ACKs, the client last sent actual data 30 secs before the problem occurs. I'm not sure of CMSF expects keepalives at the application layer, but appears the client just stops sending application data even though both client and server are alive, and the TCP connection still established.