New Player - Which mods do you suggest

Hi Guys

I bought CMSF in January 2009 and had a horrible time getting into the game as this was my firts Combat Mission game ever.

I am now comfortable enough with the basic gameplay (i think !) that i want to experiment with some mods and user made camapaigns.

What would be your suggestions on mods and campaigns?

I have just the basic CMSF patched to 1.11

Thanks

Mods:

akd Sound Mod is absolutely great.

Scipio's flames and explosion mods are also excellent.

Campaigns:

If you're interested in Red vs. Red, definitely check out Paper Tiger's campaigns. They can be a bit tough though, so might want to wait a bit and get even more comfortable with the game (also, I think some versions may require the Marines module).

Webwing's "In the Search of a Ghost" is a classic all-infantry campaign and still ranks as one of the best out there IMO.

I've heard good things about someone's (sorry, forget the name!) "TF Narwick" campaign, but never was able to get far enough into it to give you much meaningful input.

Welcome to this great game, and I hope you enjoy it as much as I have! :D

EDIT: Whoops, recommended a campaign that requires the Marines module.

Well, I'll suggest that if you're really interested in trying out mods, you use my mod manager. If you wait a couple of weeks, you'll get version 1.3. I've been working on it for quite a while and it's coming together quite nicely! It really does help with mod testing and figuring out which ones you like and don't like. It's a slight job to set it up and learn it, but imo it's worth it. ;)

The current 1.2 version is at the repository. If you use that, there's an import function for 1.3 so you don't lose your records.

So... I think you should try ALL the mods!

Uniform mods are mainly contextual. If you're playing a scenario designed around Special Forces, then use one of Normal Dude's (excellent) Special Forces texture mods. If not though, they'd look kind of silly. Use different ones to play different scenarios and campaigns.

BTW, theFightingSeabee's mod manager is great for this, he ain't kidding! :D

Cool. Just about all of the uniform skins are great, depending on what scenario you're using them with. If you want to play as insurgents vs Iraqi police, you can! Or maybe you want to play as USMC with woodland cammo. You just have to choose which one fits your situation.

Tip: if you want some mods to ALWAYS be ON, mark them as "Essential" in the mod manager. Then when you change mods, they won't disappear. And you can load them all with only a couple of clicks. You'll just have to mix and match to your liking.

Some of my "Essential" mods include:

Parts of AKD's sound mod.

Some terrain and building mods.

Some mods for the uncon fighters.

Scipios weapon icons.

Scipios Air and Artillery icons.

Red tracers.

Better explosions.

Some of my "Essential" mods include:

Parts of AKD's sound mod.

Some terrain and building mods.

Some mods for the uncon fighters.

Scipios weapon icons.

Scipios Air and Artillery icons.

Red tracers.

Better explosions.

I had to add a couple more...

Iconed bases. These show the unit bases as different icon types. I love this mod.

There goes the Sun. This removes the sun so you can see! The sun is still there but it now looks like a very bright star.

I love the Faces of Syria mod, along with the ragtag Marines, US Army and Syrian Army mods - all are permanent additions to my game along with most of the others mentioned here. I hope that a British Army version is released at some point. I also have the great Uncon uniform mod.

I am also a fan of Scipio's weapon icons (updated for Brits already I see - good job!), and the mod that turns the unit base icons into 'voice of the Mysterons' rings instead of disks - I think it was Missinginreality who did that one, but I ended up changing it slightly as it came out before the Marines module added the dark red/brown 'very dead' base colour so I added my own one in (not released as it was someone else's hard work).

My other fave is the dull icons mod, which tones down the bright red or blue unit identifier floating icons. I really hope this one is updated for the Brit module as I'm finding it really jarring having the majority of the Brits icons comparatively luminous! I don't know who did this one (admittedly a very rudimentary forum search revealed nothing), but if you are reading, please come forth and claim credit (and while you're at it, please update your mod!)