Stupid Question

Stupid question but I've become so hung up on the game I'm dammed if I can remember a basic rule!!!!

At beginner level if my squad can see an enemy but the enemy icon is NOT BRIGHT RED, can they fire on it?

If they can what's the point of showing bright red?

I know, but I've forgotten.

I think the bright red icon shows which unit your selected blue unit has LOS on. LOS is not quite LOF but its close enough.

If an enemy magically appears you can also click on their icon to see which Blue unit icon will go bright. That's an easy way to discover which of your units spotted them.

I think the bright red icon shows which unit your selected blue unit has LOS on. LOS is not quite LOF but its close enough.

If an enemy magically appears you can also click on their icon to see which Blue unit icon will go bright. That's an easy way to discover which of your units spotted them.

Okay thanks. So how do I get LOF then?

You select your unit and give a target command. Move the cursor over the enemy. A light blue line means full LOF, a grey line means some portion of your men have LOF but not all. Dark blue/pink line means no LOF. Its a rare thing that you've got LOS but not LOF, but under odd circumstances it happens.

No. If you don't have LOS, then you can't shoot. Unless, that is, if the enemy just ducks down or into a building, etc. If you have LOS to the building they are in, then you can shoot the building and hurt the guys inside. Also, you could area target the ground where the enemy is hiding and shoot there. But for any type of fire you need to see it. The only exceptions are at the setup phase where you can assign air and artillery targets, or with mortar (on and off map I think) fire you can hit just behind a wall or something like that.

Personally, I'd like to see air and artillery fire anywhere on the map, regardless of LOS/LOF.