Brute Force 39-45: Tech fixed... Im an idiot

I apparently reworked my brain in how the tech levels worked and placed them in completely wrong in the scenario.

it was 2% level 1, 1% level 2, 1% level 3, and you could never get 4 or 5 even though it was in the game. Well now I understand how the tech works within the game.

The scaling is correct now.

Max 2 chits @ 2% per chit per level.

So to get to level 1... each chit gives you a +2% chance, max 2 chits per tech.

same for levels 2 through 5.

Since each year is about 22 game turns with putting 2 chits in a category you should get it within the year. So by 1945 a country that focused on X tech for 2 chits each time should have level 5. But you cant all get level 5 in everything without being very very lucky.

Uploading it now

For anyone else reading this, the updated file IS there in repository. The file is dated 19th July 2009. In fact it seems to be more recent than the one on Al's website.

Btw, this is a great scenario, and my favourite of the global scenarios. In future it would be cool to have some additional versions with later start dates.

The only problem I've found with all the various big global scenarios is when playing against the AI, the computer often spends an inordinate amount of time thinking, planning, etc, its moves. In Brute Force, this is especially noticeable when playing Axis vs. Allied AI, and in particular in the early game. The Allies don't engage in much combat in these early turns (as you'd expect); nevertheless they spend a lot of time thinking.

This is why the idea of some later starts occured to me - when there's more action going on these thinking/planning periods are broken up and seem less noticeable.

I've found a problem with the 'USSR occupies eastern Poland' event, but also, luckily, a fix I think.

I noticed that when Axis units are occupying one or more of these 'eastern Poland' tiles at the time Poland surrenders, these Axis units are often (perhaps always) not moved out of the area when it is placed under Soviet control. They therefore get 'trapped' in eastern Poland. I've seen an armour unit trapped in Vilna, for example, never moving (AI controlled the Axis in that game).

However, if you edit the surrender_1 script, and remove the lines that assign the eastern Poland tiles to Axis (immediately before they are again assigned to the USSR, so these lines are not needed anyway), the problem seems to be resolved.

Perhaps there is a bug in the game engine, whereby units are not moved out of reassigned territory if, immediately prior to the reassignment, that territory was owned by the same side those units belong to? Maybe.

• 2 weeks later...