Calling in Artillery in Mod Builder...

I am gettign used to the Scenario builder which is very cool. One thing I have not been able to get right is the artillery attacks. I have 3 Fos for the Syrians but cannot see the command to have them call fire. Just the regular assault commands.

I do see in the AI fields that there are support targets but I figured these were mapping targets for our FOs to pursue.

Well in this mission I have 4 120mm batteries available but the idea is that the FOs are not suppose to make it. If they make it to the spot where they can call fire, the marines' day gets a bit worse.

When I started the mission, all four batteries of 120mm just pour down on my marines with no spotting rounds and deadly accurate.

Meanwhile the FOs are nowhere in sight.

So I took this to mean the AI target location is to simulate artillery coming in but I found no way to control the timing. (No exit after...) Also I'd like the ability for the FOs to call it on as I can hopefully surpress/kill them with snipers and scouts/hasty ambushes before they get close enough.

Any help is appreciated....

I believe AI FOs will call artillery automatically if they have adequate sighting of enemy units for long enough. You have to remember that Syrian artillery is very slow to respond to a call for fire. Like maybe 10 or 15 minutes slow in some cases. The FOs need to stay alive that entire time.

The other stuff you are talking about relates to laying out an opening barrage that is assumed to be pre planned. You can definitely ruin the players day with these.

Yes, painting AI artillery targets is for opening barrages. If you don't want to use up all the ammo pick "Suppress" instead of "Destroy". Also, have some of your artillery/mortars come in as 5 min reinforcements so the opening barrage doesn't get access to them. For Syrian AI spotting "Veteran" or above FOs is recommended with a +2 command rating, and mortars come much quicker than artillery. The artillery FO needs a chain of command link. I can't recall if that caused problems in 1.11, but things may have been fixed in 1.20. I'm not 100% sure.

The trick is to get the FO in a spot where he's got a clear LOS but isn't liable to get himself killed. Playing Blue, I usually start having Red mortars targetting my troops about 2/3rds into the game. Sometimes its ineffective, sometimes it falls at exactly the wrong place at the wrong time for my grand plans. :)

Yeah,

I am finding the art of FOs in the AI plan. Trying to get them to the right spot, stay alive, not get surpressed and call in effective artillery.

Meanwhile every swinging joe is throwing everything they have at them.

I guess that is why the Syrians get the 120mm more often....

I think I am going to have some of the FOs start off "in place" on the map instead of trying to run them up and try and hide....

To go one extra step, you need to add enough good observation points that it is inconvenient to simply mortar all of them on principle. I am fairly religious about shelling any obviously excellent observation points.

Think in terms of a nice broad, vegetated ridge-line where there is no obvious "kill me please spot", or have such a spot and leave it empty.