New Global Mod for SC2 Weapons&Warfare- uploading problem

Hello everyboby! I have been working on a Global Mod for many months. It is not completed yet but I think there are people out there who would like to use it as a good basis for their own Global or even try it despite some chaotic scripts. All in all, with its impressive unique map, this mod should help any modder in our communauty to go forward with their own project.

As strange as it seems though, I cannot register in the Repository files nor log in neither do anything no matter my computer security settings are. Anyone has a suggestion? I am running out of time because I will be away for quite a while soon, so I wish I can upload the baby . I already sent a message to Support. Maybe I can sent it to someone who will be able to upload it? Anyway, we have 72 hours! Thanks for reading!

Hello fellow players and WW2 grand strategic games fans. I finally got my file downloaded,(It was a java script error problem with my Internet Explorer). 2 years ago, I bought SC2 Weapons and Warfare mainly out of curiosity for the promising Editor included. I didn’t have big expectations as I felt, on first sight, that the whole design could not be exploited much and lead to a real dynamic and realistic model of strategic warfare. I was wrong. Despite some flaws or limitations this is a very good basis for a credible simulation of WW2 on a strategic scale, leaving well behind all other competitors products including vaunted Hearts of Iron that I tested extensively. And m:(ost of all, it is Fun! So, last year, I began this Global Mod, putting in all my knowledge of WW2 and I mean much more than just the events or main technical aspects. I have studied in depth the economy of that period as I think industrial power made the difference more than warfare doctrines , equipment, training and usual explanations given for success or failure on the battlefield. It will be reflected in this Mod as you will have to carefully plan your allocations of resources even if you get, (specially the Allied) more mpp than you ever dreamed of!

Unfortunatly, I haven’t been able to complete my work.:( It proved to be a lot more demanding than predicted, 20-30 hours in average per week and now, as summer is coming, I am involved in too many activities to resume my edition project at least for the next 2 months. Well, I guess a complete version could be out in october ( if people are interested) unless we get the Real SC3 Global campain by then. Instead of keeping the monster spleeping in my computer, I thought some guys out there might enjoy a good fight with it even though there are numerous minor bugs both in Scripts Events and AI scripts. Don’t be skeptical and give it a try! Let aside some messy political scripts and chaotic AI moves here and there, GIANT CONFLICT is fun and rich in flavor and surprises, all within historical boundaries. Just for its World Map, maybe the most accurate one available in SC2, It’s worth a glimpse. Feel free to use it for you own mod. I managed to keep geographic distorsion to less than 15 % in most areas with a new projection of the planisphere well better than the Mercator most commonly seen. I think the map accuracy matters as much as game mechanics in order to get closer to a true WW2 simulation. Of course, due to specific features of SC itself, compromises were needed for the sake of playability. So, you may find roads, ports and other supply sources where there was actually not much to support major warfare operation. I tried as much as possible to stick to the real landscape for every single tile but, then again, had to put more clear areas to prevent total paralysis of units here and there or make a choice for a 100 km square tile what would be the right feel with a real Army. Units movement capacity was tested to bring optimal and realistic radius of operation within every 10-14 days turn as I found out longer or shorter turn length would not be suitable for that scale and , since time/space balance regulates the whole tempo of your mod, one must understand why that frame is so critical. First of all, you can’t play forever so forget a 300 turns game and both players can’t play simultaneously. It is inherent to SC. So, in a single turn, you should not be able to do so much that you opponent can’t react effectively when he faces the new situation. That is why a monthly turn can’t be realistic. In one turn, Poland would fall? Not interesting!

The original SC2 parameters for economy, politic, research, units, etc down to a any submenu have been fully revised and improved with, in mind, a better simulation of WW2 historical context. All units or pools of units have been re-balanced according to countries historical record. So don’t expect Japan to be able to build tons of tank units or Germany to keep up with the Allied in terms of Tech and production either. Spain won’t easily join the Axis and there are innumerable small fixes alike. Italians frogmen, refugees, synthetic oil plant, foreign labor, manpower shortage, mining of ports, tropical diseases, German raiders are just few of the surprises. No more invincible unit, no more one year siege, no more easy travel around the world, you plan and advance step by step and , sorry but it’s reality as it was, don’t even consider an invasion of America and don’t be frustrated because you cannot send millions of men wherever you want in a couple of month. Welcome to History!

NOTICE: AI scripts, as a first generous clumsy draft , are good enough for solo gaming and even challenging at hard settings ( Try AI +1 at 50% with no soft build limit, weather on, Fog on) but you may hit several oddities (for instance, in a test where the Allied AI was on his way to beat me up badly in France after a successfull D-day turn, suddenly most of its units reembarked and were send to Italy where they landed again! It was obviously the Italy invasion script interfering with the France invasion one). All in all, this mod is not so neat and polished as it should be but I think many guys out there will be pleased to have an additionnal Global mod.

Nevertheless, I strongly recommend you find a real opponent and be prepared to sweat. Whether you are Axis or Allied, there’s no room for mistake. Victory conditions are tight and the Allied player won’t get away with any level of victory at all if he doesn’t do better than his historical predecessors by september 45.

Secondly, AI turns after 41 can be Veeery long. This is a monster mod with more scripts, more units and tiles than any official scenario. If you hate that, well buy a better computer or play Packman!

Thirdly, if you disagree with designs decisions, think twice. You must see the whole picture and how everything has to be abstracted one way or the other to keep units and countries interactions playable within the Editor constraints and built-in SC2 design decisions I cannot change like supply rules, type of units, type of ressources,etc. The strict, rigid structure of SC2 scripts has its pro and con. After spending more than 1000 hours on that, am I allowed to complain? No! SC2 is a Jewel for wargamers and I can’t wait for the real Global to come soon ... :)

Now have fun!

Special thanks to Hubert Cater for his neverending effort to make his game better and stay in touch with the community.

Special thanks also to Nupremal and Big AI whose questions and experimentation with their own Global mods helped me to get a better idea of this whole enterprise and my hat’s off to their perseverance.

• 3 weeks later...