Where do I find my IP address?

I know my IP address, however I cannot start a game. I go to Join Multiplayer game, then to join network game, I enter his IP address and it says, "ERROR: Cannot connect to specified IP address". I also tried to start a game first, click on TCP/IP in connection type screen, then it asks for a password, I type one and it says, "Cannot open connection on TCP/IP network" How do two players connect using TCP/IP? Thanks!

You said that you are using a cable modem. Are you also using a cable/dsl router or firewall/proxy software? If you are, this would affect how your IP address would be seen from the internet. I.E. the router or firewall software act as a proxy server and that proxy server's IP address is what would be seen by your opponent (and vice versa if your opponent is using a router/firewall).

Be careful using any of the programs like those Tanks A Lot mentioned, especially if you are on a cable modem. Some of them give an incorrect IP number. I've used that site, and another, and they both give me an IP number that do not match what I actually have via my cable ISP.

This may be off the mark but you cannot host a game by "Joining Multiplayer". You must "play" a scenario, and then in a later screen, select the game as a TCP/IP game. If you are trying to host a game and use "Join Multiplayer" and type in your own IP address, it will not find a game there, as you are not currently hosting one.

Once you have selected your game as a TCP/IP game, the final screen you come to, where it waits for your opponent to connect, should give you your IP address. This would be the IP address to give to your opponent as long as it's not a LAN address from a local router or hub. If you need to, you can hit "escape" at this point to get to another application to send your IP address to your opponent, then reselect CM. You will still be at the screen waiting for the opponent to connect.

[This message has been edited by Tao Xian (edited 03-19-2001).]