SOme nice stuff at Gizmag

Cool articles, thanks. If a washing machine like that ever hits the market, would be interesting to see how effective they are at actually cleaning clothes!

I think the article has some accuracy issues. They said the washer only uses 2% of the energy of a conventional washer, but then claim only a 40% reduction in carbon emissions. That didn't seem right. When I check the company's website: http://www.xerosltd.com/laundery-cost-benefits.htm , it looks like it uses about 2/3 of the electricity of a normal washer. That combined with reduced dryer needs gives the 40% reduction.

I also liked the article on the 6ft Honeywell turbine. A cost of $4,500 is getting down towards manageable. If it reduced my electric bill by 15%, as claimed, that would save me about $400/year. Not quite enough to make it cost effective. It would have to come down to about $2,500 for that.

Good sleuthing dumrox

For hot air fans[!] Lennox now have a heat exchanging hot air furnace with a 94% + efficiency. Just being imported to the UK - handy as my existing Lennox is 41 years old and only 75% efficient .... and only a single burner and a one speed fan.

The new baby can be linked to an air cooling unit but I am not yet convinced as to the benefit. However as we are into a week of 90F temperatures I could be converted.!

However as we are into a week of 90F temperatures I could be converted.!

Given that you are in England, I expect it's pretty humid too, which makes for a sweltering combination. I grew up in a place where that was standard summer weather. Yeah, much of that and you'll be going for A/C I can guarantee.

Michael