Defensive postioning for IFV

Something I have never been to sure of is when an infantry company is tasked to defend a position, where do the transports go?

I heard that they are either tucked into defilade or held about 400-500m behind the position. Is this true?

If that's the case of ICV or transports should they even be on a combat mission map?

Reason I ask is I am designing some scenario's and want a realistic picture of an infantry company doing a defensive mission. If there are no real spots to hide away a vehicle would they sit out in the open? I don't think they would. Would it be better to just have them removed than leave them sitting ducks?

Are you talking about a US company or a Syrian one?

In general the transports will be with the squad in a prepared fighting position and often a secondary one as well (Trucks etc will obviously be left well behind the lines). If you want a detailed picture of a Soviet company strongpoint from the late 80's I can give you one but I am sure there are others who are much better at US defensive preparations!

Harry that would be brilliant if you could help. Drop an email to me? What I am really interested in is if Strykers or equivalent vehicles would be in amongst the fighting positions of the infantry.

Non-combat vehicles like trucks etc understandably, would be well behind the firing line.

Compare a fighting vehicle like the BMP, which I guess would be involved in the action, whilst something like a battlefield taxi would be further behind even to the point of not seeing combat? Think unarmoured or thin skin transporter.

Canadian doctrine is for ICVs to be part of the defense, either dug into the position or with run up positions within the position and the vehicles 100 to 200m rear of the position prior to the run up.

Service support vehicles are usually of to one rear flank in a harbour hide which is about 400-500m from the position.

Given a typical CMSF map, the service support vehicles would most likely be off map unless the map was huge.

Well, I dug up a field manual for a stryker company and it seems that there are no hard and fast rules for vehicle placement - it all depends on the commanders plan (The company comander may have to integrate his defences with other companies or may be separate). I had never heard of the 'Y' formation before though but I have just skimmed it though as it is a lot of information!

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/3-21-11/c05.htm

I'll prepare something on a Soviet style defence now, it doesn't matter if it is a BMP or BTR defence, the principles are the same.

All done - I have sent Meach an e mail as your account seems to not allow them. It has a couple of diagrams and stuff. If you have any questions just ask, I love the Soviet way of war!

Apologies for the amateur style graphics - I was in a hurry and just pulled them out of a couple of places without cleanups.

• 4 weeks later...

The first thing is that an IFV is not a "transport". It does move troops around, but it is primarily a mobile weapons platform, which makes its role different from the old days of the 113. Unlike a light company, a mechanised infantry company doesn't actually have any organic dismounted MG crews. The Bradley fulfills the same support role that the gun team does during an infantry maneuver. In the defense, about the only difference is that a Bradley position would actually be two positions...a position to engage from and covered position to pull back to when the engagement is done.