20/20 wargaming

REVS

I know that it's a bit off topic to talk wargaming here, but what the hell. That's what I plan to do.

All the aussies, poms, kiwis, etc on this board will know about 20/20 –*it's the newest, excitingest, shortest form of cricket for fans with short attention spans. But my PBEM wargaming mate and I have recently been playing what we call "20/20" games of CMAK and CMBB (yep, we're still at it. I even bought an old eMac just so I could have an OS9 bootable Mac to keep on playing the game I enjoy).

The rules of 20/20 wargames are simple. 20 turn meeting engagement quick battles, 600 points. So far we've played half a dozen games, and five of them have been some of the most totally action-packed, fun things I've played in years. None of that conserving ammo nonsense. Not a lot of creeping up marlarkey, either. There's always room for subtlety, especially when two old foes who know each other's game inside out are skirmishing, but so far he who hesitates usually loses.

Just to spice things up for one or two games we've added in a dash of thick fog at dawn (with 80m visibility) but that can lead to a lot of SMG squads creeping around the thick woods in the tall hills. So some of the games are a bit more sensible, midday in fine weather, for example.

Just thought I'd mention it to those who are a bit gamed out and are looking for something new to warp their minds. It's also a good option if you don't have a lot of spare time for gaming.