Two Video Related Questions

What OS are you running ? You can get either the original 3dfx Reference Drivers or 3rd Party drivers from Voodoo Files (in the upper left corner is the menu to select from which group - the Banshee drivers will be on Page 3 of the Original 3dfx driver list). Windows 9x/ME came to version 1.040, while Windows 2000 officially came to 1.02 Beta. I've seen a 2000/XP driver in the 3rd Party driver list, but I have no idea how good it is (pages 4 and 5).

The latest version of DirectX is 8.1. DirectX 9 is in Beta testing right now. However I don't think any of the Voodoo cards really make use of any calls unique to DirectX 8 or above, though they should still work with that version.

When you download DirectX you'll need to get the version that is correct for your OS. Windows 2000 has a different file from 9x/ME (Windows XP already has DirectX 8.1).

DirectX Download

Thank you, Schrullenhaft. I do appreciate that help and would like to note that I've known you to give some very good advice over at least the last two years. I know you've helped out many like me and I'm grateful. You should be the Admin for the Tech forum.

I have Win 98 SR2 and am trying to play a video intensive game (Myth III). Unfortunately, I think the minimum for this game is Vodoo Banshee 3 while I only have the first one with 16 Megs of memory on it. I may have to buy a new video card soon.

DirectX question: How can you tell if you have DirectX 8.0 or 8.0a?

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Go to the Start Menu > Run > type in 'C:\PROGRAM FILES\DIRECTX\SETUP\DXDIAG' and run this. This will load up the DirectX Diagnostic. Typically on the first tab near the bottom it should tell you which version of DirectX that you're running.

Thanks. I already did that and it says 8.0 with a couple of other numbers that are not zeroes. I'm at work right.