Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

@Schrullenhaft

You often talk of the CM preferences window being determined by the video card.

I installed a new CRT monitor. Windows did not show new hardware detected. ATI Radeon 7000 control panel shows generic monitor.

All works just fine.

I have multiple AK BB and BO installs.

After the new monitor, as each install is opened, it is asking me to accept new settings.

Before I had all set to 800 x 600 100htz.

Now it suggests 800 x 600 85htz. I accept, and it works. I don't notice any difference. (Should I?)

I thought it was strange that the monitor change would be noticed by CM.

FWIW

How does Windows recognize your monitor, as 'Plug and Play Monitor' or something else ? I'm unsure of the exact data that the Prefs file keeps track of, but the monitor might be one of them. Generally I would have assumed that CM would only notice a change if the desktop resolution was changed (below the setting for CM) or if the Prefs file was deleted. There's a possibility if the DirectX drivers reported back to CM that a refresh rate at a particular resolution that CM is set for is no longer available (i.e. - 800x600 @ 100Hz isn't available), then I could see CM performing the resolution selection process again.

On the surface it looks like your monitor replacement, frequency-wise, is less capable than your original monitor. Above 85Hz most people would have a hard time distinguishing the difference in higher refresh rates, though this may depend on other qualities of your monitor.

[ March 10, 2005, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

The resolutions and refresh rates only go down on subsequent offers (if you declined 85Hz then the next offering may have been 75Hz, but not 100Hz). The very first resolution and refresh rate that CM attempts is your current desktop resolution at a refresh rate that is the maximum offered by the video driver which may or may not be smart enough to know what the monitor's limitations are (most likely not).

I can only guess that either you monitor wasn't capable of 800x600 @ 100Hz (which would probably be true of an LCD) or that you may have just missed the 100Hz offering. As I said earlier there's not too much of a perceptive difference between 85Hz and 100Hz for a majority of people. If you don't notice a difference, then you should be fine and there shouldn't be any need to worry.