Decisions, decions then Pooh again and again....

Hi guys

In the marines module I have been playing the following missions in sequence: decision, decisions (defeat), pooh (minor defeat), then decisions, decisions (tactical victory) again, and now the game is coming up with this bloody pooh mission one more time.

Do you experience the same? Do I need to win both missions before moving on ?

Thanks for your help!!!

Basically, yes.

You are aware that in Decisions, Decisions, you can opt to go for the other exit point and take a different branch that bypasses the Pooh mission, right?

So, you if don't want to fight through Pooh again, go back to Decisions, Decisions if you are able and exit the map from the far left corner instead of the far right corner. You will be told that you have a Total Defeat (an artificiality of the branching setup) but in this case, it is meaningless except to put you on the path of a different set of scenarios.

If you are set on going into Pooh, then check some of the Pooh threads for tips on how to fight through it. In all honesty, I found Pooh challenging but not extraordinarely so. It is easily winnable if you take your time and are methodical.

What gets me about the Pooh mission is that in every attempt I suffer extensive-enough casualties (for example, I never lose fewer than one Abrams) that it puts in doubt my ability to have sufficient forces to complete the campaign. In other words, the more I try to preserve my forces, the harder it is to achieve the mission objectives.

Pooh actually isn't a hideous as everyone makes out. I found it challenging but not hard. It can be done with minimal casualties and no vehicle casualties because I have done it. In fact, I have done it with infantry alone with CAS / Arty support (I was curious if it could be done) and left all my vehicles at the start positions. It makes it a whole lot tougher but it can be done.

My usual method - infantry up the middle of the map, with some just left of the highway. You have cover almost to the orchard areas west and between Pooh and Eeoyore. From there, you can coax the Syrians into taking shots at you and then you hammer them hard with arty, helos and the superior firepower of your squads. I found you can even entice the AT-14 ATGMs to shoot at your moving infantry squads ( I usually only have small squads like the scouts play bait) and then kill them quick with arty and air. Usually, I can kill the 2-3 AT-14 watching my advance route, then I bring my vehicles up into the area between Pooh and Eeoyore. By this time, I have killed most of the problematic ATGMs and weaked most of the Syrians squads so once the vehicle come forward, it is more of a mop up operation to clean out the enemy around Pooh and Eeoyore. I can usually put such a beatdown on the poor Syrians that I can get a total victory without ever going after Piglet or Tigger.

Hope this helps at your next matchup with Pooh.

In the meantime I learned that I can't bypass pooh...

I played decisions, decisions twice. First I finished with all my forces on the green area for Route Tiger. Next mission: pooh. Following this I deleted all save games in d&d and finished d&d on the green area for Route Eagle. Next mission: pooh again:(

So it seems that I have to go through pooh. Well I know now where the ATGM and the arty spotters hide:)

By the way which arty ammo is best used against infantry in buildings?

BlackMoria many thanks for your hints!

By the way which arty ammo is best used against infantry in buildings?

BlackMoria many thanks for your hints!

Best arty ammo is General or Armor setting. If the building is multistory, airburst will get the roof defenders and inflict some casualties on the floor below the roof but little else.

Go large caliber when you can. It doesn't take long to inflict enough casualties and suppression for a quick rush by nearby friendly forces to take the building (just don't get too close during the shelling).

Using General ammo setting with 155mm on Medium density, Short duration, I found will usually take a multistory building down to it foundations if the majority of the rounds hit.