*Sigh* more CMAK install problems

I am starting a new thread because my install problems seem to be slightly different from the one I've see described on the FAQ and here on the Tech Forum. Here's the relevant points:

- I am trying to install on a Dell Notebook P4 1.6 MHz, Running Windows ME, as far as I can tell up to date with the latest windows updates. 256MB RAM, 30 GB HD with 7.9 GB free space.

- Closed down all background programs that would be likely to interfere with installation before inserting the CD, including my software firewall (ZoneAlarm), Virus protection (Norton), and GoBack.

- CD mounts fine, and Autorun starts the Setup.exe with no problem.

- Install starts properly, and install program chugs happily along extracting Common.exe.

- About 90% of the way thorough the installation (judging by the progress bar), and error dialog box comes up saying that there has been a problem and that Common.exe could not be extracted because "The source file is corrupted". It gives me the choice to (1) Abort, (2) Retry, or (3) Ignore.

- If I (1) abort, installation quits immediately. Checking my HD, the CMAK folders, etc. are created, but there are no files within.

- If I (2) Retry, it starts installation again from scratch, and the same thing happens again.

- If I (3) Ignore, the program continues to install, with no futher error messages. However, CMAK won't run - I get an error message saying that the 'open.dll' file is missing. Checking the CMAK folder, there is a 'CM Afrika Corps' file (@9.23MB). It does appear that other stuff is missing - for example the .bmp folder is rather small, and appears to contain only the English-specific .bmps (buttons, etc.)

Attempted remedies:

- Tried copying Setup.exe to HD first and installing from there. Same problem.

- Cleaned CD w/ alcohol, etc. No change. I would also not that there are no visible blemishes on the CD.

- Tried running the install again on top of the first install. No help.

So, anything else I should be trying? I don't really feel like waiting for another CD to come in the mail, but I'm kind of stumped since I can't seem to get the common.exe off the CD.

Suggestions appreciated,

YD

YD,

I want you to try something. Run the Setup.exe again. You will notice that a WinRar window pops up after a moment and begins to extract files. those are coming out of the Common.exe archive which is now on your sysyem. As soon as you see a WinRar window appear and begin to extract files (before it gets to that 90% part) browse to your install folder. You should see a few folders as well as the Common.exe file itself. Now, whats happening is that the Common.exe file is self extracting but I want you to try and COPY it before it completes. Copy and Paste it somewhere safe. It should be about 615 megs or so in size.

This will not keep that error you get from occuring but it will give you a *pure* copy of the file to test with. Whats happening is that once the installer detects there is a problem, it then moves on to the next archive file (English.exe) and then deletes the Common.exe file (which is the majority of all the files) as it thinks it no longer needs it.

When you get that error, just hit Ignore, this will allow the install to move to the next file and then finish up.

Now, what we have is a incomplete install of CMAK in the destination folder and then a Common.exe file by itself somewhere.

First, try and just double click the Common.exe file. Tell me what happens and list out ANY Error messages you see.

The next part is a little trickier, it will require that you have a copy of WinRar installed on your computer. You can get it for free from www.rarlabs.com

I need to see what WinRar is seeing in that file so it might be better to do this part via ICQ, IM or even my chat system at CMHQ. Let me know if we can work on this together via chat and then we can proceed but for now, try and get a copy of that Common.exe file saved away.

One last question, how much memory do you have installed in your system?

Madmatt

[ December 06, 2003, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Matt -

Thanks for your response. I'm more than happy to play guinea pig for this little install problem. We just need to find a time that is mutually acceptable if you want me to report what is going on to you in real time.

Unfortunately, I got called in to work an emergency deadline at a law firm this weekend (good for my checkbook, bad for having free time to play with my own computer), so I won't be around and available at my home computer much. I may be available for a bit Sunday night, but that's about it for until the filing deadline on Monday evening. As of Tuesday, things should open up for me considerably.

Let me know when might work for you. You can email me at Jugnickle@aol.com or post here - I'll check in when I can. I don't usually use ICQ, but I can get it up and running if that's the best interface to use. Either AOL IM or CMHQ chat is fine.

In the meantime, I'll follow the steps you've posted up to and including downloading WinRar and post the results here.

Oh, and my computer currently has 256 MB of memory installed.

Thanks for your help,

YD