Translucent Smoke...

MoJo

Hello,

I've noticed after seeing a lot of screenshots that the smoke is translucent and you can partially still see through it. However on my game I cannot see through the smoke, it's just there and totally blocks my view of whatever is behind it. Do you have to have a 3D card to view translucent smoke/effects? Is there an option I overlooked?

-MoJo

Shift + I will change the smoke display options within CM. "High Quality" will be the translucent smoke (which is normally the default setting).

The other issue regarding transparent smoke may be the video card and/or the drivers that you're using. Some cards and drivers don't support CM's translucent smoke properly. If you give us more info on the card (or the specific video chipset) and the driver version you're using we can provide you some more info on your problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MoJo:

Hello,

I've noticed after seeing a lot of screenshots that the smoke is translucent and you can partially still see through it. However on my game I cannot see through the smoke, it's just there and totally blocks my view of whatever is behind it. Do you have to have a 3D card to view translucent smoke/effects? Is there an option I overlooked?

-MoJo<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, use Shift-I to toggle to "maximum" smoke Fx.

However, I think this may be a new bug introduced with 1.1.

Prior to 1.1, I had translucent smoke on a Diamond Monster Fusion (Voodoo Banshee chipset).

After I upgrade to 1.1, the translucent smoke effects partially disappear: if I rotate around a smoke cloud, it will appear solid (and very polygonal, like from the old Microprose M1TP1 game) for at 350-degrees; but there would be a narrow 10-degree viewing area where it would appear translucent.

However, given that Diamond has put its 3dfx-based cards out to pasture, and also that 3dfx itself is effectively out of the business, I think I'll be solving my problems with a new video card...

[This message has been edited by Nuku (edited 01-14-2001).]

Guest Madmatt

There were NO (absolutely ZERO) graphics changes made between v1.05 and v1.1.

I have asked Charles and he said he didn't touch one byte of code for any graphics rendering.

Have you deleted the Combat Mission Bynd Ovr Prefs file located in your CM directory?

Do so and relaunch the game just to be safe.

Madmatt

I figured it out. It was my fault. Despite what a lot of tech-support guys say, it is not always a good idea to upgrade to the latest video drivers [especially if they're from a company that has gone under]. As a side note, I found out that Microsoft refuses to give you tech support if you don't upgrade to latest drivers of everything (they closed two problem tickets on me 'cus of that -- didn't even ask if upgrading worked[it didn't]) Latest ain't always greatest. tongue.gif

The latest Voodoo Banshee reference video drivers from 3dFX(dated Feb 2000) are incompatible with the Diamond Fusion(and/or horribly buggy and incomplete).

I reinstalled drivers way back from '99 (geez, I'm glad I leave old garbage lying around), and I've got translucent smoke again. One of the games I recently got no longer works, but CM is worth it.

Still, the old Banshee is obsolete anyways, time to upgrade.