CMBB: any hope for a technological bottom-feeder?

Holdit

I note that the minumum specs for CMBB include a 500+ Mhz processor. I have a PII300 with 480MB RAM and a 32MB video card. I don't mind toning down the graphics in order to make it work until I can upgrade, but before I go to the trouble of downloading it, will it be capable of running on my system (a) at all, (b)playably ?

Thanks in advance, etc.

Yes, it can run on your system. The minimum specs that have been listed are not the absolute minimum. They are a good guide however since systems below those specs will generally perform fairly slow in CM.

Your 32Mb video card can make a significant difference in performance, depending on which card and drivers you have installed (some 32Mb cards are definitely not up to par in terms of speed).

Some players are willing to endure a bit of slowness to play CM. I'm not sure exactly what you'll see performance-wise, but I'd say that it is definitely worth the download to take a look.

I've been able to run the full-beta version on a Celeron 500 with an 8Mb video card (ATI Rage IIc) and a P2-400 with an 8Mb NVidia Riva 128ZX (the precursor to the original TNT). The turn calculations may be a bit slower, but for some people that isn't an issue (unless it is a huge battle with a lot of action). In my opinion the video card makes a very large differnce with most of the user interaction in the game (plotting turns and viewing the landscape, etc.) and thus most people's perception of how slow or fast the game is.

[ September 02, 2002, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Yes, it can run on your system. The minimum specs that have been listed are not the absolute minimum. They are a good guide however since systems below those specs will generally perform fairly slow in CM.

Thanks for the feedback & info. I've completed the download and will give it a try when I get home this evening. I'm happy to put up with it being slower/less sexy until I can afford/justify a new PC.