Frustrated Installing this game!!

This is the second time I have uninstalled and reinstalled CMBB. I have the original 1/0 version. I have installed the 3 patches in order.

When I click on the START button and it goes to search for scenarios it just boots me back to the desktop. I have W98. It worked on my other machine with WXP. HELP. No visible scratches on the disk. Any Ideas on what is causing this and a fix?

Thanks in advance,

Treadhead46 :confused:

Do you have Windows 98SE or the 1st Edition ? Which version of DirectX do you have installed ? Which Voodoo 3 driver do you have installed ? Is this a PCI or an AGP card ? What motherboard model do you have and have you installed the chipset drivers for it ? Do you know if your video card is sharing an IRQ with another device, especially the sound card ?

The only time I've seen this particular problem was with a 3dfx Banshee (a Diamond 'Monster Fusion' in this particular case). Using the latest drivers caused the problem. Using some slightly older drivers (3dfx's or Diamond's - I can't remember) helped with this particular issue if I recall.

The latest drivers may not be the best ones. I know that there is a problem if you run at or over 1024x768 in CMBB. When you do so you'll get 'white/blank' textures in certain parts of the game (terrain or vehicles). Reducing your resolution or running Windows 2000 or XP usually gets rid of this problem (reducing your resolution is the only solution for Win9x/ME).

You can get the latest drivers (or the last official drivers) and some third party 'hacks' of the drivers from Voodoo Files (click on the '3dfx' button and then select '3dfx drivers (original)' or '3dfx drivers (3rd Party)'). On Page 3 of the 'original' drivers is the 1.07.00 driver, which is the latest and last. I can't remember if this is the best one or not. As for 3rd Party drivers there are a number that you can experiment with (though I have no idea which ones work). They may not do much for you when it comes to CM (there's only so much they can do to fix bugs - which is actually pretty rare for some of the 3rd Party drivers).

To find your DirectX version go to the Start Menu > Run > type in 'dxdiag'. This will launch the DirectX diagnostic. Near the bottom of the first tab should be the version number.

For finding out which driver version you have installed go to Control Panels > System control panel > Device Manager tab > double-click on 'display adapters' > double-click on the display adapter that gets listed (your Voodoo 3) > go to the 'Drivers' tab > click on the 'Driver Details' button (I believe that is there - there should/may be a button for more details on the driver). Any of the .VXD files will probably get you the version of the driver (which probably won't match the 1.07.00 number, but possibly use a different numbering scheme).

To find out if any of your devices are sharing an IRQ (which PCI and AGP devices do quite often - without saying that there's a 'resource conflict') go to Control Panels > System control panel > Device Manager tab > double-click on the 'Computer' device (the top-most item) > this should bring up a listing of IRQs in numerical order used on your system. Ignore the 'Holder for PCI Steering' devices - they accompany every PCI device and don't represent another conflicting device. Check to see what IRQs your sound card and video card have and see if they're sharing them. More than likely this isn't the cause of your problems. I'd guess that the drivers are the actual culprit.

Regarding your motherboard. You'll probably need to either find documentation, open up the case or look at the 'boot screen' before Windows loads up (usually when the computer is 'counting' memory) for some codes/model numbers that can tell which board you have. Once you can determine which motherboard you have (and possibly updating the BIOS, though again, that won't solve your problem with CM) the correct drivers can be downloaded for the motherboard's chipset. These usually help with some AGP and an occasional PCI issue - though it more than likely won't address your problem.

[ July 22, 2003, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]