Multi-Player

I just want to say that Operation Z is a lot of fun. I just finished one hell of a game with Jason as Japan... most challenging opponent I've played so far and I was 'just' able to squeak out a victory with 4 turns to spare. Actually I did not think I would be able to overcome him as early at 43. He was that aggressive. I think it's fair to say we've both experimented heavily and are eagerly looking forward to a rematch as I know our actions gave thought to new strategies and techniques. Our game saw the complete over-running of China by the end of 43, almost the collaspe of British defense (he really came that close) and the attempted invasion of Austrailia (did not work out so well for the Japanese amphibious units). Hell at one point Jason's IGN even took out 40% of the allied fleet in one shot 44! It was so decisve a hit I was forced to pull back and regroup rather than hit him back and it really complicated my late game strategy. It was a game of moves, counter-moves, blows and counter-blows. I would love to see the addition of a replay button that replays the entire game... somthing that could be posted on the forums for others to watch.

The only serious irritant is the weather, which I think at times is heavily overdone. The last twelve turns of the game saw Japan rained in 5 times!!! And during the critical phase of the operation when I took Kyushu... i had clear weather and on Jason's turn his entire airforce was grounded. :(

The Operation Z campaign is awesome and the game that Hubert delivered is probably the best WWII strategy game vs. a player that I have played. Excellent job to all who developed it.

Also my opponent I fully recommed as the most capable player. He really gave me a run for my money. If you are looking for one hell of a challenge and the serious possibility of getting ripped apart... Jason is your man.

abu

abukede,

Expecting you’re talking about the Jason I got to know over the last couple of months you’re right on the money. For someone who is supposedly a newbie he certainly doesn't act the part. In my game against him I tried to end it all in 43' which I could have done quite easily if I positioned my navy better or got any intelligence reports on his IJN. Out of curiosity though what did he do with his artillery/ air force. In other words did he strike with his air force before he attacked with his land units or after? That was mainly his only flaw in his game against me.

He generally struck afterwards. At first I thought it was a flaw... then as the game progressed I realized it was not. Each of us play differently for different purposes. The reason he struck after was so that the entrenchment and effectivness of the unit dropped, meaning his airunits took less casualties. Which in turn allowed him to build them up step wise in a quick manner, unleashing more destructive capability.

As to the positioning of your fleet... it can be the most nerve wracking decision you make.

Never thought of it that way I always thought you were supposed to strike first with those units. Maybe it works that way for air units, but for artillery and SF's it wouldn't.

There was truthfully a huge side motive for my decision on where I had my fleet, and that was done, because I wanted to end the game as early as possible. Mainly, because I was getting bogged down in other games/my MOD. All those factors added up to me not having much time to concentrate on my game with Jason. Although I was holding out quite good in India (he didn't get anywhere past Imphal), and China (where my line was beginning to crack at the very end of 43').