3dfx / Direct X Question

Hi Guys,

Has anyone else had this problem?

I let the installation routine for another game update my Direct X drivers from 6 to 7a, figuring that it might fix the one niggling problem I've had with my card since I've owned it (it freezes up for a second or two every so often, with the hard-drive light on).

Now, CM will barely run, all of the smoke and fire effects are totally screwed up, the game runs much slower than it was before and I can't seem to get CM to catch the 1024x768 resolution which I was able to use fine before.

My dilemna is that if I go to the 3dfx website, they've only produced updated drivers up til directX version 6 so it doesn't seem like I will ever be able to get card drivers to match the latest directX version.

I'm also having a hell of a hard time getting my hands on the old DirectX 6 files again. Doesn anyone know of a site 9hacker or otherwise) that keeps legacy versions of those drivers around?

p.

I have the same config as you. I downloaded the latest 3dfx driver (1.07.00 or something like that) from their site. Then I loaded DX8 from MS and it all works fine now. My smoke effects were rubbish on 'high quality' too. This sorted it.

I queried the 'verified' problem with Schrullenhaft on this forum, he is well up on these things and basically said it doesn't matter that the FX drivers are not 'verified' under DX8. You should be able to do a search under Tech Support using my 'name' and it should bring up the query and responses. Hope this helps

PS - 3DFx stress the need to put in their drivers first and then DX8, not other way round.

[This message has been edited by Apache (edited 03-20-2001).]

The real problem is that I'm on a Voodoo2 card and 3dfx never bothered updating those drivers to support anything past DirectX 6.

DirectX7 definitiely tanks with Voodoo2 and I have no confidence that DirectX 8 will behave any differently. The Voodoo3 people are a little more lucky it seems.

Looks like the Voodoo is finially coming out and a nVidia is going in.

p.

PS. Dogbert is definitely _not_ going to make me laugh right now. smile.gif

Thanks everyone for replying. I'm finally up and running again by pulling a card switcheroo.

I may go back and try the DX8 with my latest Voodoo drivers this weekend just out of curiosity. The Voodoo does look a little better than the TNT2 on a few of my games but CM is equally wonderful on either.

p.