New Blue vs. Blue scenario NoFighting in the War Room

Finally after several months, my Blue vs. Blue Scenario, USMC vs. Army No Fighting in the War Room is finished! Follow the Marines as they attempt to take down a rogue Army General and his loyal troops in Egypt. I tried to encompass as many types of warfare as possible. Both sides get a nice artillery/air support selection, each side has a company of tanks,(Interesting to see how the M1A1 MEP fare against their brother the M1A2 SEP), mechanized units, and lots of riflemen. I tried to make it as fair as possible given the Army is the defender and they have no air support, just artillery. With one of the goals being not to cause any collateral damage due to the presence of civilians, makes the Marine's job even more challenging. I have played through single player and it genuinely is a challenge and fun alway down to the last few seconds(you will need every second of the 2 hrs). Head to Head is a blast! My intention was a big (2048 x 1344) map with nice balanced tank battles, followed up by intense building to building fighting inside the complex. It is loosely based of the movie "Dr Strangelove or: How I Stopped Worrying and Love the Bomb" by Stanley Kubrick of Full Metal Jacket fame, so some of you older folks will appreciate the setting and story. Enjoy!!!

• 2 months later...

I gave this scenario a go, as I'm interested in Blue vs Blue scenarios.

SPOILERS BELOW

I found it a lot of fun. However I found it too easy as Blue vs AI.

I realise it is designed more for H2H, however with some simple adjustments to the placing of the Red forces, the challenge could be increased dramatically.

I'd also probably remove the Blue air power, and remove 2/3rds of the tanks from both sides.

I pretty much decimated all Red's tanks with the four F/A-18's and two of my own tanks, and then with 16 or so tanks left over I was pretty much unstoppable. I was fairly careless and still only took about 10 KIA 30 WIA on my first go.

The placement of red's forces allowed me to pretty much demolish his forces from range with my tanks. To up the difficulty, I'd put his forces down low (instead of up high in towers) keyholed, and perhaps change the red setup zone to allow the hill. No general would leave a hill over-looking his entire base unoccupied. Giving Red some javelins on that hill along with a couple of tanks overwatching the rest of the map would significantly add to the challenge.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate the feedback. It is a tremendous scenario with H2H in mind. I agree with all of your assessments of the single player portion. I do most of my gaming H2H and I find that when two good players play that scenario, it turns out not as one sided. As for Single player, there are javelins in the vehicles, not many but few. What I found in play testing was that Blue ended up decimated if the red player targets the blue tanks as they crest the hill they start on in setup. This can only be accomplished from the hill and the towers. Between the tanks on the hill and the javelins, it was a mess. Then Red had all the tanks and wasted the infantry column. We tried a lot of different ways to balance the beginning of the battle so that a nice tank battle would ensue. It is supposed to go in phases. Honestly there wouldn't be a tank fight in real life if red had enough javelins. That is why we toned them down to almost none so a real player couldn't use a thunder of javelins to wipe all the tanks out with. It was tough to balance a very challenging single player game with a balanced H2H battle. Thanks for the ideas, if I decide to do a V2, I will include those changes.

Well, that's probably why I'd remove almost all the tanks (apart from a Platoon each, or so), so the entire game doesn't hinge on the first tank battle. It also feels a bit like command and conquer with all those tanks on such a small map. :P

As blue I can win every time by targeting your tanks that go to the hill first, with air strikes.

I've played it a few times and the tanks fail to spot the hidden JTAC teams even if they are right on top of them (which causes some unwanted casualties from the resulting airstrikes, but hey).

Then, those two tanks I got early on can be moved into in hull down positions behind their little hill effectively take out all the other patrolling tanks outside the base. Stationary vs Moving advantage. In H2H I imagine there is more than enough airpower to make sure you never get that hill.