Move-Fire-move..A noob asks

Completely new to tactics in CMSF.Is it possible to move-fire-move-smoke reverse all in one move.Obviously the above will take a couple of moves but is it possible to set those orders in first move say.what keys should i hit while giving those orders,if it is possible.Cant seem to do it ingame.

Apols for being a total noob...........:D

The move/fire bit is easy... you can change your firing orders at every waypoint you place. If you issue a "target" command and then a "move" command then your vehicle will fire and move at the same time. If you issue a "move" command and then a "target" command from the destination waypoint your vehicle will only fire once it has reached that waypoint. Since orders change at waypoints the best way to increase your control is to include more waypoints.

You can further fine tune things with the "pause" command: Its fairly straight forward to move your vehicle into position to fire on a target, pause for 20 seconds, and then reverse back to safety. Make sure you have the correct waypoint selected while issuing the "pause" command, or you may pause at your initial position by accident.

Smoke on the other hand, I have not had much luck with. It seems like if you issue a "pop smoke" command to a moving vehicle it will not complete the order until it reaches a waypoint. Sometimes it will only pop smoke when there are no more waypoints left.

Also, the hotkeys for each command are listed on the panel in the lower right corner of the screen. Just make sure you are on the proper tab as some commands won't work, or will issue the wrong order, if you are not careful.

@Dutch990,

Check out the sticky threads in this subforum, there are a lot of screenshots with examples on how to do moves like you mentioned and even more complicated ones :)

Shoot-and-scoot actually shows exactly what you ask, IIRC the smoke orders arent displayed correctly if you press them, but will be carried out. Dont try to target something the same waypoint you want to perform smoke though, because you will have to cancel target which will cancel the smoke. GL

You can further fine tune things with the "pause" command: Its fairly straight forward to move your vehicle into position to fire on a target, pause for 20 seconds, and then reverse back to safety. Make sure you have the correct waypoint selected while issuing the "pause" command, or you may pause at your initial position by accident.

Can anyone confirm whether a "paused" vehicle shoots as if standing still (i.e.higher accuracy) or as if moving (i.e. with reduced accuracy)? This is a critical consideration for the above tactic to work.

Zwolo

Zwolo2003 I haven't looked into it too much, but from my own experience it appears that a paused vehicle fires as if stationary. Pretty easy to see with larger caliber weapons (tanks, MGS, 40mm grenades). Alot of these vehicles can't hit the broadside of a barn while driving at high speeds, but seem to do fine while paused.

I've also noticed that vehicles with a "slow" command retain pretty good accuracy. My new favorite tactic for advancing across a large open area is a sort of creeping barrage, with all my vehicles on slow commands, shifting targets frequently. Works pretty well...

I saw a live fire demonstration back in the 80s. M1s were just then deployed into the armored divisions, so were very new. A platoon came racing across our field of view firing on the move. Let me tell ya, they were hauling ass. I couldn't tell what they were shooting at 'cuz stupid me forgot to bring binoculars. But i was informed by those that could see that they were nailing their targets. Just thought i'd throw that in as i haven't played that many battles yet, so i'm not sure how the M1 performs on the move in game...