Vista issues

My fiance's comp has been acting funny* so she set me loose to figure it out. She can't get Vista updates and when she tries she gets an '8008005 error'. I have dropped Malwarebytes on it, found one problem and fixed it. Otherwise clean. Google has told me that it could be a general Registry issue so I d/l Easy Cleaner and when ran it found 394 errors but could only delete 374 of them. I tried moving down the queue to delete one by one but no joy, I can't purge them. Any other free, good and safe registry cleaners out there?

Thanks for any help.

*by 'funny' I mean it won't run iTunes any more and her iPod is locked up. Not sure if these issues are related or not but that is what started this whole dance.

I did a quick Google and didn't really find much that was too helpful - unfortunately.

This site has a lot of similar issues discussed, including one with your numbers:

http://server1.vistaheads.com/forums/archive/index.php/f-120-p-18.html

Another link suggested that a security update would help. If she accidentally downloaded malware, it might have damaged the OS somehow, even if you have since cleaned it up.

One link I followed did suggest a fresh install of the OS - which may be an option for you. It's what I would probably do, in your situation. And after that, I'd update the heck out of the OS and anti-virus/anti-malware programs that you use. And make sure her firewall is on!