Nice to see an intelligent community

yep, that's a good one - rather churchillian actually

here's a couple churchill gems for you:

Lady Astor said to Churchill: "if I were your wife I'd put poison in your coffee"

Churchill replied: "Madam, if I were your husband, I'd drink it"

and, i just love this one:

Bessie Braddock to Churchill: "Winston, you're drunk!"

Churchill: "Bessie, you're ugly, and tomorrow morning I shall be sober"

Howard R wrote

15?! 22!? OMG, do I feel old at almost 44. Let's see-

22 years ago I was playing Squad Leader and Tobruk (board games, with actual cardboard counters with actual printing on them. The Rulebook wound up being longer than my college textbooks). Fifteen years ago was 1988 or so and I hadn't purchased my first computer but i was still playing board games. By then I was on the little known Firepower (great concept, I wish it had been translated to computer) and the card/board game Up Front. Sure do miss Avalon Hill.

Any other oldies out there care to comment?

Know how it feels, Howard. I'm now on the other side of 50, only recently, and my wife wonders when I'll give up the Combat Mission on my Mac and the Gran Turismo on the Playstation...

I started off with model soldiers on the polished timber living room floor having a dash at the American Civil War. That was about 1979. Then came good old Avalon Hill and Squad Leader, etc in the early 80s (still got the whole set stored up in a cupboard somewhere) and that did us fine until this Millennium kicked off. Ever since it's been CMBO/BB/AK.

Been playing the wargames with the same bunch of reprobate substance abusers since day one. And the good thing about CMBO/BB/AK is that one of our mates, who fudged counters in Squad Leader, and argued his head off over interpretations of that enormous rule book, has been forced to abandon his two primary battle tactics and search for something more military and honest if he wants to win a wargame.

Those around-table Squad Leader arguments used to get pretty heated at times. A few boards upended, one very memorable wrestling match when two of them totally lost it.

By comparison, the CMBO/BB/AK games are very polite affairs. I prefer the current computer games by far, although those old style cardboard counter games were lots of unruly, tension-filled fun.